Looking for a Great Sweet Mead Recipe for 10lbs of Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danii3488

Reaction score
Cheers :mug:

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to either read or help out with my very first Mead Recipe, yes that’s right this is my first time. I am nearly bursting at the seems with excitement but I am also nervous :confused: and a little lost ha-ha

I would like to keep the Recipe Very Simple and VERY Sweet so there really isn’t any space for error.
Also I am not looking to make a 5 Gallon Batch, some thing small like 1 to 3 gallons would be wonderful, I will try Larger batches when I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the mead making process, basically I don’t want to be over whelmed right now :cross:

I have 10lbs of clover honey raw; we purchased this honey from local bee keepers here in our area.

I would like to make simple very sweet mead

I have all of the supplies just minus some ones Great Recipe, If your willing to share. :tank:

Thank you for your time,
Danii

Hey Dani,

I've recently started test batch of mead with approximately the same amount of honey you had. I made two 1 gallon batches of a sack mead. The first gallon carboy contains 5 pounds of honey, a half pound of agave nectar and was filled with spring water. It's been sitting for approximately 5 months now and is nearly fully cleared. It has the consistency of maple syrup and is very sweet with a hint of what tastes like apple which I attribute to the agave. If cut with water, I think it will become very tasty.

The second 1 gallon container has the same measurements as the first with the addition of 4 vanilla beans. Its sweet as well, but it's not as "sharply" sweet as the first. It's a bit more full bodied and mellow, most likely due to the vanilla.

If you don't want to go quite as sweet as what I've done, I'd recommend going with approximately 2.5 to 3 pounds per gallon. This will give you something closer to wine consistency that's more semi-sweet to sweet as opposed to the near honey liquor that's sitting in my cupboard.

-Andy

Back