San Diego Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cpbergie said:
Here are the basics. (I couldn't find the pH).

Calcium: 48.1 ppm
Sulfate: 134.0 ppm
Magnesium: 23.5 ppm
Chloride: 86.1 ppm
Sodium: 75.7 ppm
Bicarbonate: 143.0 ppm
PH: 0.0

Calcium seems a little low to me? Anything else look interesting to someone with more knowledge than me?

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/pdf/tbl6.pdf

I'm a chemist from San Diego. Looks kind of fishy to have a pH of 0.0. Might be a little hard on skin. Not to mention the inside of your stomach and yeast won't live in it. Sodium is a little low for the chloride AND bicarbonate.
Nothing about the beerworthiness of the water. I used bottled drinking water last time.

I couldnt find the PH in any reports. Maybe you can help me out with that?

Ive heard that Calcium should be between 100-250 ppm, and carbonites 50ppm or lower.

I've had good results in taming water by boiling it for 15 mins the day before the brew. be surprised what you find in the bottom of the kettle
Dave Miller calls it treated brewing water then adj the mash with salts
..and relax

I brew In SD as well, I add a little gypsum for the Ca++ for porters and brow ales. I use to use bottled water but started using tap water a couple years back, and have not noticed a difference. I got a filter set up recently but have not started using it.

If your interested in the pH get some pH paper because it will fluctuate depending on the season.

Back