Newbie needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis2010

Reaction score
Have searched the forum, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

My uncle and I tried making our first batch of beer a couple months ago and it didn't turn out for us. It was a can of Coopers Canadian Blonde. When we opened a couple bottles and it tasted like, best way of describing it, tasted like it smelled when we first opened the kit.

Any ideas what we may have done wrong? I have tried looking up about it on here but it looks like most people on here make their beer with own ingredients.

Is there a forum on here for the cans of beer?

I eventually want to brew like the most of you but want to learn this way first, kind of work my way up.

Thanks

I'm still new at this myself, but based purely off of what I've read:

1. The canned kits really just aren't that good to begin with.
2. The canned kits often come with crappy, old yeast, so if you used the yeast that came with the kit that could be a big part of the problem.

I'm fermenting my first batch now, it was a kit that was assembled by the local homebrew store, still good to learn the basics with but with considerably better ingredients.

another quick q. What is the preferable thing to use, plastic bucket or carboy to ferment? I have and use a carboy, was told glass is better to use than plastic.

I use carboys just cause i like to watch the fermentation, but you can get good brews with plastic. I saw a guy in a vid using a bottling bucket for primary, so instead of using a siphon for racking, he attached the tube to the bottling spigot to transfer. The spigot is positioned above the bottom of the bucket so you dont get the trub, looked alot easier than holding your siphon above the trub for 20 min. Try getting an extract kit from northernbrewers.com. Tons of choices and good fresh ingredients. Upgrade to the liquid yeast.

Latest posts

Back