Small scale kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I admit I haven't looked over the entire site for past references but hope to if I get time. I want to do some small scale kegging and force carbonate w/ CO2 rather than bottling. I'm talking a range of 1 to 5 gallon kegging operation for some experimentation I'm doing with some brews so I don't waste a whole 5 gallon batch at a time. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Links, ideas, DIY, anything.

I'm not sure what kind of help you are looking for. Why not buy a typical kegging setup for homebrew? You can keg a 1 gallon batch in a 5 gallon corny. That way you only have one setup for all your kegging needs.

I already have that but it seems a big waste of CO2 to keg 1 gallon into a 5 gallon corny. I only have a 5 lb tank. It costs me more in gas to go get it filled that it does to fill it. I was thinking along the lines of a small mini-corny or something? I don't know. I can always go with my existing kegs but I plan to experiment with smaller batches over the next year so it seems like a lot of CO2 and a lot of trips to fill my small tank. If I could get a bigger tank free then I might not be looking for alternatives.

They make 3G cornies. You could also buy a 20 or 50 lb Co2 tank to save on the frequency of driving to fill it. With a 50lb you could then fill your 5 lb off it.

They make 3G cornies.

Maybe a 3 gallon cornie is what I need to look into. I'm fermenting in 1 gallon jugs so I'll probably end up with 1/2 to 3/4 gallon after all the trub is separated. I need some clues as to how to filter out trub on my way from the brew pot w/o losing beer flavor.

Ahhh...I didn't realize you already had a kegging setup. I am actually considering brewing smaller batches (2.5 gallons) but will probably just deal with the wasted CO2.

They make 3G cornies. You could also buy a 20 or 50 lb Co2 tank to save on the frequency of driving to fill it. With a 50lb you could then fill your 5 lb off it.

I should have said if someone will give me a bigger tank because I can't afford one based on the cost of that 5 gallon tank. Approx. how much does a 50 gallon tank cost?

Ahhh...I didn't realize you already had a kegging setup. I am actually considering brewing smaller batches (2.5 gallons) but will probably just deal with the wasted CO2.

If we really are putting way too much CO2 into the atmosphere the gov't ought to be isolating it and providing it to homebrewers. :D

I'm coming in a hair late, but what about adding something to the keg to displace the air volume? For example, in my wine carboys if the head space is too large and I don't want to top off with water or wine I'll add marbles. If you can find something that is large enough to displace a few gallons of air and not alter the taste you can just use the 5 gallon kegs.

Look into the 5L mini kegs... hold just a tad over 1 gallon, reusable, and there are a number of relatively low cost DIY dispensing articles on the web to use them.

The cost of the 2.5-3gallon kegs are more than it would cost you to purchase a larger co2 tank.

I am a big fan of having spares of everything. I now have 10 CO2 tanks, and 80 kegs, and a lot of other redundant hardware.

The cost to fill a 20# tank is not going to be 4x as much as it is to fill your 5# tank at most air supply stores like airgas where you swap. It may only be 5-10 more dollars for a swap of the larger tank, and the savings will be evident years down the road.

I really don't feel like you would be wasting much gas filling the headspace.

An option is to use 2-3L soda bottles and use the carbonator cap on them. Thing is, each one of those things is around 15 dollars. You can make your own using schrader valves, and there are guides online, just be careful with the materials it is made from.

Also, if you are doing experimental batches, I would recommend doing around a 2.5-3 gallon batch anyway to minimize any differences that could be magnified in the smaller batch. For me, since I do 10g batches, an experimental batch would be 5 gallons. If you have enough kegs to keg the experimental batches in them, I think that would be the easiest method with your current equipment.

+1 on soda bottles. They helped me figure out the mechanics of force carbonating. Just put some not-fully-conditioned Nut Brown Ale in 1 for sampling purposes.

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

I have this system, it is great for small scale. But t is a bit costly to keep it up the food safe 8gm CO2 cartridges are a pain to find

+3 on the TAD system. I now have 7 TAD bottles. Just tapped a nice Brown Ale yesterday. As far as the 8gm CO2 carts go most of the on-line suppliers that are recommended here stock TAD and the carts.

+1 on soda bottles. They helped me figure out the mechanics of force carbonating. Just put some not-fully-conditioned Nut Brown Ale in 1 for sampling purposes.

+1 here too.

I recently started using these for small soda batches, and to quick carb a small amount on bottling day so I have some before the bottle conditioning kicks in.

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

by the way. the stem valves are only $1-1.5 way more economical than a regular carb cap for 15-20.

I couldn't get my stem valves to seal correctly... anyone have issues like this?

I used I used AutoZone brand self sealing black rubber stems for a .463 hole (see pics above), and used a 1/2 in paddle bit to drill the hole.

I popped it thru and it worked without a fuss. It can hold 40+ psi.

One homebrewer I talked to a year ago or so said he had some 1 gallon homebrew kegs that he found used somewhere. Anyone know anything about these?

I agree with others' saying you will spend more on 3 Gal kegs or the such than you would in "wasted" gas. To fill my 5# it only costs $10 and a 5# should carb and dispense ~10 kegs. Regardless if you dispense 5 gal or 1 gal it is going to takes about the same amount of co2. I don't know about you but I frequently leave the house and drive places between the 10 kegs it takes to empty it, so I am sure to be going near the place to get it filled within that time when it gets low.

I also second the homemade carb caps, I have also made some from the Auto Zone stems.

And... when using a partial bottle with the carb caps, just push more CO2 in and it keeps its carb.

Not as sophisticated as a full carb system. But 4 2L bottles will give you a 2 gal batch of soda or trial beer.

You can also use the 20oz bottles to carb a sample on bottling day so you have a quick one to drink right away as the caps are interchangeable.

And... when using a partial bottle with the carb caps, just push more CO2 in and it keeps its carb.

Not as sophisticated as a full carb system. But 4 2L bottles will give you a 2 gal batch of soda or trial beer.

You can also use the 20oz bottles to carb a sample on bottling day so you have a quick one to drink right away as the caps are interchangeable.

I have no idea what you are talking about but I would like to know if you would elaborate and explain.

Well I use the home made carb caps on the top of plastic soda bottles. They are made with schrader valve stems, and I inject CO2 into the bottle to carb them. You can see pic earlier in this thread.

The same caps that fit on a standard 2L bottle fit the 1L and the 20oz.

I can then fill one of them with some beer at bottling time to get a preview of the beer conditioning in the bottles that I can drink that evening after a long day of brewing activities.

One homebrewer I talked to a year ago or so said he had some 1 gallon homebrew kegs that he found used somewhere. Anyone know anything about these?

The 1 gallon corny kegs do exist, but are very rare. If you keep a look out and search hard you might find one, but you won't like the price. If I remember correctly I paid about $100 for mine on ebay.

Back