Are you offended when others pour your beer out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
Occassionally some people will pour my beer out. It's rarely because they dislike it, or wish to show me any disrespect, but because they just aren't interested in drinking, are leaving, etc.

I have a real problem with this, though, and it's very hard for me to get over it. If they sat with me through a typical brew day, and saw the amount of patience it takes while yeast ferment it, I imagine they would have a much harder time just pouring it down the drain.

One time, when my sister was very young, I asked her where money came from. She pondered the question briefly, and quickly made up her mind. Money, she was sure, comes from the bank. You ask the lady for money, and she gives it to you.

Likewise, when guests stop by my home, and they want beer, they pull the lever on the tap. Beer comes out. The concept is very simple. Unfortunately, few of my guests can ever really appreciate how the beer got there in the first place, and this can frequently cause me some grief.

Yeah...I agree. The only Mother ****** thats pours my beer out is ME!!! Cause i made it.

Yeah. If it were a bottle, I can almost understand it. It's a fixed amount. But don't pour a pint if you want to drink a half pint. That's the beauty of having it in kegs! You pour how much you want!

Thanks, guys, your understanding is relieving my blood pressure.

My homebrew is NOT the excess bud light that you don't feel like drinking.

There's a sign on my kegger that says "you are welcome to drink as much of this fine handcrafted beer as you'd like, but please drink all that you take".

The thing that popped in my mind, which I see at a lot of Chinese buffet restaurants, is "Take all you want, but Drink all you take." Of course the Chinese restaurants say "eat" but it's the same effect.

I may have to put a sticker on my beer fridge that says that...

There's a sign on my kegger that says "you are welcome to drink as much of this fine handcrafted beer as you'd like, but please drink all that you take".

I like the concept. Did you buy this from somewhere, or make/modify it yourself? Do you per chance have a picture?

I like the idea of explicitly displaying my philosophy on the sharing of my homebrew. It's for anyone to enjoy, but please... enjoy it.

My wife dumped out about 2 inches of beer before she went to bed tonight, BUt it's because I told her too. She kept falling asleep beer in hand and I said "Go to bed" she said she couldn't cause she had beer left. I told her dump it I don't care.

But yes I could see this problem. I don't have any friends that have dumped my beer yet, but I also don't have a lot of people over drinking it. It's mostly Me, my wife, my sister in law, and one couple who are very good friends. They are way too nice too not finish the pint even if it was ass beer.

I once had some d-bag fratboy fill up his nalgene bottle with my IIPA that I had just put on tap, and after taking one sip he went and dumped out half of it and filled the rest up with tap water!

So yeah, I get pretty freaking pissed off when people dump out my beer. Actually, if you are a BMC drinker or you don't drink good beer, you don't drink my beer.

I once had some d-bag fratboy fill up his nalgene bottle with my IIPA that I had just put on tap, and after taking one sip he went and dumped out half of it and filled the rest up with tap water!

So yeah, I get pretty freaking pissed off when people dump out my beer. Actually, if you are a BMC drinker or you don't drink good beer, you don't drink my beer.

damn! that is how people end up stabbed in my house.

Would've 86'd his sorry ass straight to the curb if he pulled that crap with me.

I like that idea. But I think my sign would say, "Pour out my beer and I'll punch you in the c**k"

:mug:

My wife and I were at the LHBS the other day and they had a fridge full of brews. They offered us some to try and my wife picked a rye. She said at first it was good, but about half way through it she wasn't satisfied. Asked me, "What should I do if I don't want this?" And I replied, "Doesn't matter if you want it or not, you will drink it." She wasn't happy and tells all her stupid friends that I made her drink it but whatever, don't care.. I feel it's dissrespectful to pour out someones hard work even if it isn't to your satisfaction.

:tank:

if someone is pouring beer out it better f*ing be into my f*ing cup

i got a buddy who like to pour a beer and forget its there.. 2 hours later.. im drinking his warm beer well my warm beer.. if it was bmc i'd let it sit and rot

To pour and not finish is to piss in someones face. Drink it you p**sy.

Sorry I find it disrespectful to take others hard work for granted.

My friends don't leave if they haven't finished their beer. And I bottle in bombers... though I don't mind if they share bottles.

I would definitely find it offensive in the case you site. On the other hand, if I encourage someone to try a new style and they don't like it, that's another situation entirely. I've had probably 2 or 3 beers dumped for that reason and that's ok by me.

I've also had several other situations where someone didn't like the beer, and someone else said "Oh! I'll take it!" :D

I have a sign on my beer fridge that says "Free Beer Tomorrow" I don't mind sharing - especially with family and friends. But most feel home brew in a keg means its free!

To the original poster - MOST people do not have the pallete(sp) for flavorful beer and are used to weak commercial light beer. Even good home brew can take someone back who is not ready for it. That said - I don't take much offense when people pour out a glass I fill for them with my current batch. Many more think it is great and can't wait to have another or see what the next batch is. Some - it is just not their cup of tea. I would rather the person admit they don't like it (and give me a chance to gladly take it off their hands) then to force it down to be polite and get a bad sense of what home brew is.

I will say though, I am not too pleased when someone tries the brew, gets more, then dumps a mostly full glass down the sink or leaves it on the table...

My first response was was actually opposite to all of you so far.

Last year I lived in a house with 4 other guys and we had people over every now and then. People would quite frequently try some of the homebrew that I made, which I was fine with. And quite frequently they didn't really like it. I bottled at the time so I started to ask if they would just try it first, and split a single bottle among their friends. If they liked it they could have more.

Everyone has different tastes. If someone doesn't like the beer I make, I would rather have them dump my hard work than choking down something they would wish not to drink. I appreciate them trying to be polite by saying its good when they clearly don't like it, but its really unnecessary.

To put it into perspective I used to work at a Mexican restaurant and we made some great hot salsa. People would order it quite frequently having heard about how good it was. However, quite often there would be tons left over on their plate like they only had the tiniest of tastes. Just because it was great doesn't mean everyone likes it.

Now with kegging I just provide very small glasses, that way if they don't like it, the most they can take is 6 oz. or so. If they love it and rave about it, I'll even give them the proper glass to go with the style and let them have as much as they would wish.

Simple solution:
Set up a large carboy with a funnel next to the sink, with a sign that says "Please pour unused beer into carboy for disposal"
...then after it's full, bottle it with some carb tablets and give it back to the people who dump out your beer on a regular basis. Call it a 'poor-pourri' beer and see if they like it.

Not really, if they have had enough or are no longer enjoying it I don't care if they pour it out. My beer is made to be enjoyed, not choked down.

I've only had two beers dumped at club meetings. A hop wine, which was extremely bitter without much flavor/aroma and a hard root beer. In both cases, I had put warnings on the growlers. Very few other people have ever sampled my beer.

I like that idea. But I think my sign would say, "Pour out my beer and I'll punch you in the c**k"

Hillarious! that's great.

Yeah, i hate when a beer isn't finished, especially if i made it. Even in a pub if i try a new beer i'm not a big fan of, i'm drinking every drop of it.

All though, i was at a wedding recently and the only beers they had were Bud, Bud light, and Miller Light. I had SWMBO get be a Bud for lack of options. One sip was all i could stomach, but then again I don't really count BUD as beer either.

Yea I'd be pissed if any of mine got poured out. If you don't like it or are finished, give it to someone that will drink it. I don't like when things are wasted for no good reason.

I am surprised at how many of you associate with people who don't like beer.
Were I in this unfortunate position I would crack one, give them a taste and then open one for them if they like it, as I do with my commercial beer.

A possible solution is to provide smaller glasses. I know EdWort is a big proponent of that technique. I've seen it in action, and it works. It also keeps someone from getting a full pint of a beer he doesn't like.

I make beer for people to enjoy, the last thing I would want is for them to do is to drink something they didn't like.

So, no. I don't care if they don't finish one. It's honest feedback.

If I figure someone isn't going to like a beer I ask them to try a small sample first. Generally I encourage people to try everything I have on tap. That way they get a drink they will actually like and finish.

I don't expect everyone to like IIPA or smoked porter. But if someone dumped a whole glass I'd be a bit peeved.

One thing I require for people who choose not to finish one of mine is to tell me WHY. I had someone tell my that my coffee stout tasted "too much like coffee" so thats a win for me. They just didn't like that style, no problem

Since I now Keg, I offer a small sample before pouring a full pint. I have yet to have someone finish one they took on purpose since then.

"I think someone would get their ass kicked doing that".
Loose quote from Office Space.
That's just wrong.

I think that this is perfectly reasonable. If it still doesn't work, give the jerk who pours your beer out a little 6-oz juice glass next time. :)

I gave the neighbor a sample of my smoked porter and explained that it's not for everyone, I won't be offended if you don't like it. I could tell she wasn't into it but she drank the majority of the small sample I gave. Dumped the last swallow or two. Then this morning I realized.....That keg hadn't been pulled in about 24 hours hours and was small sample. It was probably pseudo warm from being mostly beer already in the line in the tap box....

How about taking a keg of homebrew to a party, and some idiot leaves the tap running? That happened to a buddy of mine. He was so pissed! All that work and someone walks away from the keg with the tap open.

Justifiable Homicide your Honer.

I don't think I'd offer people full access to my kegs if I didn't trust them. Last week a friend came in from out of town; I gave him the last half pint of my brown (the best beer I've made so far) and two 22oz glasses of my hefe (he said 'it tastes kind of like Blue Moon,' bless his heart) and he would have been welcome to more if he wanted it (I'd have pulled out some mead if I didn't have to drive him home). Some random friend of a friend? Either 'let me get you some' or silence. Call me a dick if you want, but it's my money you're drinking.

Back