warm, cool, fast, slow which is better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I brewed the Sinistral Warrior recipe from NB on Saturday and placed the carboy in my brand new Igloo cooler along with some water & a couple frozen 2 liter bottle. Well, my new temperature control device works almost too good. The temperature of my beer dropped to 58° after sitting for about 3 hours. When I noticed this I pulled the ice bottles out & warmed up the water to about 66°. Since then I have been adding just one bottle and trying to keep the temperature around 65°

So the thing I am wondering about is, will the change in temperature up & down cause any problems with my friends the yeasties? The variation is from about 62°-67° over the course of a day. I also noticed that when the temp cooled down from 67 to 62 the rate of bubble out of my blow off tube dropped about in half. So is slow fermentation better than a more rapid pace?

As a n00b, everything is a question :mug:

Nah, worst case it might cause them to go dormant. You would be better with them being too cold as opposed to too hot cause they produce their own heat during fermentation. My FC (a fridge with a temp controller) fluctuates as the temperature changes. As long as it doesnt get too warm, Im happy.
-Me

I brewed the Sinistral Warrior recipe from NB on Saturday and placed the carboy in my brand new Igloo cooler along with some water & a couple frozen 2 liter bottle. Well, my new temperature control device works almost too good. The temperature of my beer dropped to 58° after sitting for about 3 hours. When I noticed this I pulled the ice bottles out & warmed up the water to about 66°. Since then I have been adding just one bottle and trying to keep the temperature around 65°

So the thing I am wondering about is, will the change in temperature up & down cause any problems with my friends the yeasties? The variation is from about 62°-67° over the course of a day. I also noticed that when the temp cooled down from 67 to 62 the rate of bubble out of my blow off tube dropped about in half. So is slow fermentation better than a more rapid pace?

As a n00b, everything is a question :mug:

62 is a touch on the cool side, but like JoeMama said, the yeast will produce some heat and I bet it'll be just fine. If after a week the yeast have stalled, then you'll know why.

side note, I can't tell the bike in your avatar. Looks like a sporty standard, so I'd go with FZ1/6.

Sharp eye Z987k, it's a '06 FZ6. You a sport bike person as well?

It's going to be smokin hot here tomorrow and we don't have AC so the inside temp of the house will go to about 80° before the day's over. If things go like today, the temp will be back up to about 67° when I get home from work. I'll probably throw in a smaller ice bottle tomorrow and see where I can stabilize the temp at. I'm shooting for 65° but it's hard to regulate it that close with ice bombs.

You will be fine. The temperature shouldn't fluctuate too much because if it cools too much during fermentation, the yeast will go dormant and won't have a chance to clean up after themselves. If any change in temp is made, a few degrees warmer toward the end of fermentation can be beneficial to keep yeast active.

Sharp eye Z987k, it's a '06 FZ6. You a sport bike person as well?

It's going to be smokin hot here tomorrow and we don't have AC so the inside temp of the house will go to about 80° before the day's over. If things go like today, the temp will be back up to about 67° when I get home from work. I'll probably throw in a smaller ice bottle tomorrow and see where I can stabilize the temp at. I'm shooting for 65° but it's hard to regulate it that close with ice bombs.

You should check craigslist for old freezers and put a temp controller on it. Makes things much more simple.

I don't currently own a sport-bike. Had a ninja 600 for a bit, then an fz1, which is the bike in my avatar(which is California btw), then a klr650 and now a husky 410 and I'm looking at picking up something touring oriented. There's also a Honda sabre v65 for sale down the street for almost nothing(literally), I might pick it up just because of the price and it's shaft drive with a really smooth engine. I think it'd tour well for pennies. If I had the money I'd own a monster 1100.

I'll go for cool!

Just like Cool quotes here:

"It's probably not a good idea to be chewing on a toothpick if you're talking to the president, because what if he tells a funny joke and you laugh so hard you spit the toothpick out and it hits him in the face or something."

"Fear God, and your enemies will fear you." Benjamin Franklin

"It is hard to tell if a man is telling the truth when you know you would lie if you were in his place." H. L. Mencken

"Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher

"To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while." Josh Billings

You should check craigslist for old freezers and put a temp controller on it. Makes things much more simple.

I don't currently own a sport-bike. Had a ninja 600 for a bit, then an fz1, which is the bike in my avatar(which is California btw), then a klr650 and now a husky 410 and I'm looking at picking up something touring oriented. There's also a Honda sabre v65 for sale down the street for almost nothing(literally), I might pick it up just because of the price and it's shaft drive with a really smooth engine. I think it'd tour well for pennies. If I had the money I'd own a monster 1100.

Not to threadjack, but may I humbly suggest an older Honda ST1100? Great bikes for the money, and pretty affordable if you go back a few years.

Z987k, is that picture on Highway 94 east of San Diego? Maybe all twisties look alike :ban:

No, it's Highway 120 from the bay area to yosemite. We came over the Sierra's on 108 - senora pass, which is another great road.

Not to threadjack, but may I humbly suggest an older Honda ST1100? Great bikes for the money, and pretty affordable if you go back a few years.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the only reason I'm really looking at it, is because of the price. I'm more of an adventure and enduro type rider, but figured eh what they heck, might as well get a street bike.

Back