SWMBO Slayer extract issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixand

Reaction score
So I ended up with a paltry 1.043-ish on my SWMBO Slayer I brewed last night using the extract version of the recipe.

Pretty bummed out...how could that have happened?

It could be too much water (did you do a partial boil and top off) or too little extract. What OG were you expecting? Posting your recipe and process might help.

I do a partial boil and top off...why would that effect the OG if the ingredients being used are measured for the final volume?

Sounds like a case of incomplete mixing to me. Extract should net you the OG you expect every time, all the time.

Because extract is so viscous, it tends to sink to the bottom of the kettle. Unless you make an effort to stir it REALLY well prior to taking the hydrometer sample, you run the risk of getting a low reading.

Reading was taken after approx 5 mins of aerating the carboy (re: swirling like crazy).
No scorch, brew kettle was stirred by third party through the entire slow pour.

Brewed at approx 3.5 gallons, then topped off to just above the 5 gallon mark.
Projected SG was 1.042-1.047, though most in the original thread said they hit 1.050 or higher.

Recipe was:

3 lb. Wheat DME
2 lb. Extra Lght DME
8 oz. Carahell
8 oz. Flaked Wheat
4 oz. Weyermann Vienna Malt
1 oz. Willamette

30 min steep of specialty grains at 155 F.

60 min rolling boil at approx 213 F. With DME/Hops added.

30 min chill using immersion chiller.

Did you plug your numbers into Beersmith or somehow figure out what the OG should be given your recipe? From your recipe, I suspect 1.043 is on target.

Pappers,

While it falls "within" the range set by the recipe, 1.042-1.047...I've always tended to be on the high side of the range, not barely hitting the minimums. I supposed I'm splitting hairs here aren't I? LMAO

Whups: Edit, had 1 lb too much extra light DME in beersmith.

If I use your CORRECT recipe, I get 1.044. If you got 1.043, you are dead on...(never worry about 0.001 difference!).

The people who got higher OGs were either boiling off too much water OR doing it all-grain, in which case they effed up their effeciency guestimates.

Ahhhhhh...well than.....Shorty, that makes me feel better I suppose. haha

Now...I hope it turns out as good as everyone says!

Latest posts

Back