Honey Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_f

Reaction score
Hey there!
I am looking for people with first hand experience using honey malt. I think it is from Canada...

Have you tried it? have you subtituted it for something else, easier to find in the US?

My LHBS has is very well stocked, but they do not carry the honey malt. They didn't offer a substitute either.

Any ideas?
thanks!
JP

First, their is no substitute for it.

I've used it many times--and love it. Especially if you are using actual honey in a recipe because it accentuates the flavor, IMHO.

A little goes a long way though--in an AG batch--I wouldn't use any more than 1/4 lb (4 ounces). I'm dead serious.

Dude said:
First, their is no substitute for it.

I've used it many times--and love it. Especially if you are using actual honey in a recipe because it accentuates the flavor, IMHO.

A little goes a long way though--in an AG batch--I wouldn't use any more than 1/4 lb (4 ounces). I'm dead serious.

Then I will mail order a couple of pounds and I'll have for several batches.
I'm just starting all grain brewing... I want to make an ESB with a hint of honey, but without using any honey at all...
do you think it would work?

thanks, dude! :)
JP

I think it would work well. I'd consider using a touch more (NO MORE THAN 1/2 LB. though) if you aren't going to use honey.

The honey malt alone will be "nutty", but when you use it with honey it seems to accentuate the honey sweetness more, IMHO.

Back