First Pilsner.. extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandal

Reaction score
I am making a pilsner with this recipe and the subsequent questions:

25 Liter water
200 g caramalt (specially grains)
3 kg extra light DME
OG 1049
Hole Hops:
Saaze 5.1% 40 g 60 min
Saaze 5.1% 10 g 15 min
Saaze 5.1% 15 g 5 min
Irish Moss about 10-15 g 15 min
Finished beer about 23 L
IBU: 26
EBC: 9
4.8% ALC
FG: 1012

Yeast: 23 g Saflager S-23 (rehydrated) pitch yeast at 12-13 * C
fermentation temp in refrigerator 8-10 * C

-How long should it be left and primary fermenter?

- Can I bottle after primary fermenting? Or should i transfer the beer in a different bucket for storage for some time an then transfer it to the bottling bucket?

I am making a pilsner with this recipe and the subsequent questions:

25 Liter water
200 g caramalt (specially grains)
3 kg extra light DME
OG 1049
Hole Hops:
Saaze 5.1% 40 g 60 min
Saaze 5.1% 10 g 15 min
Saaze 5.1% 15 g 5 min
Irish Moss about 10-15 g 15 min
Finished beer about 23 L
IBU: 26
EBC: 9
4.8% ALC
FG: 1012

Yeast: 23 g Saflager S-23 (rehydrated) pitch yeast at 12-13 * C
fermentation temp in refrigerator 8-10 * C

- Can I bottle after primary fermenting? Or should i transfer the beer in a different bucket for storage for some time an then transfer it to the bottling bucket?

7 to 14 days depending if you rack to a secondary or not.

You don't have to rack to a secondary, but some people prefer it to "clear the beer".

Cheers.. :mug:

Pilsener is a lager style and, to achieve the authentic flavor profile, can't be properly brewed using an ale schedule. Primary fermentation usually takes longer than an ale fermentation (3 weeks or more would not be unusual) and should be monitored with a hydrometer to determine when it is ready to be "lagered". For best results, leave the beer in the primary until it reaches terminal gravity or within a couple of points. While still in the primary, gradually raise the temp up to 15-16 C and leave it there for a couple or three days for the yeast to reabsorb any diacetyl that will likely have formed.

Lager means "to store" and the best way is in a secondary at just above 0 C for as long as you can stand. I just did a Dortmunder and lagered for 4 weeks. Even longer wouldn't have hurt.

After all that aging, it's possible that you may need to re-pitch a small amount of yeast with your bottling sugar to jump-start the carbonation.

Lagers require a little more patience than ales, but you will be amazed at the quality you will achieve with the extra effort.

Back