Simple step mashing question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really, at least not safely. What you are suggesting is essentially a thin decoction (very thin). The problem is that after doughing in, most of the enzymes are washed from the grains into the mash liquor. Therefore, if you boil the runnings you will be denaturing a good portion of your enzymes.

Note that a regular decoction doesn't suffer the same fate because decoctions are typically thick, consisting mostly of grain with just enough mash liquor to keep it from scalding. The enzymes stay with the bulk of the mash liquor in the tun.

Now a lot of people, including myself, frequently use a thin decoction of runnings to go to mashout temp because in this case denaturing the enzymes is not a bad thing.

I believe that is similar to decoction mashing, except you don't get any grain in your boiled runnings. I think that's where a lot of the flavor benefits come from decoction mashing (boiling the whole grains to attain the next step temp). But hell, I've only done one AG so I'm no expert. :)

So is step mashing reserved for brewers that can apply direct heat to the mash?

I understand step-mashing but nothing explained to me how the temperature increases were achieved.

If you dough in thick you can infuse the mash with boiling water to bring the mash up to the next temp. you are looking for.

bootytrapper said:
So is step mashing reserved for brewers that can apply direct heat to the mash?

I understand step-mashing but nothing explained to me how the temperature increases were achieved.

"Infusion" mashing originally referred to infusing boiling water to achieve your temps. This is how I used to do it before I had a tiered system with a HLT and HERMS.

So, no, you don't need to add direct heat to your mash to get to different temps. You just need a second burner with a pot of an appropriate amount of boiling water to add to achieve your mash step. If I remember right, this is discussed in one of Papazian's books.

Hope this helps. :tank:

Thanks for all the replies guys! I've been eyeballing a few recipes and some of them call for step mashing. I theory step mashing seems simple enough just executing it might be a little tricky! I'll might try a few more single infusions to get to know my equipment a little better.

Grain of salt, be careful with this site. I used it few times to calculate strike temperature and every time got it result few degrees higher then required. To check I recalculated using Palmer’s formula from his book and they did not match, site was showing higher strike temperature. So, I’m back to using Palmer’s formulas. Wonder if anybody else noticed mismatch?

AdIn said:
Grain of salt, be careful with this site. I used it few times to calculate strike temperature and every time got it result few degrees higher then required. To check I recalculated using Palmer’s formula from his book and they did not match, site was showing higher strike temperature. So, I’m back to using Palmer’s formulas. Wonder if anybody else noticed mismatch?

Interesting--I've been using that site to get strike temps and I've generally hit my temp dead on. Their algorithm must be a better match for the thermal mass of my cooler or something.

Interesting, indeed. Did you use Palmer's formula? What was the result? What kind of mash tun are you using?

AdIn said:
Interesting, indeed. Did you use Palmer's formula? What was the result? What kind of mash tun are you using?

No--I only started AG about 5 batches ago. I've always used that site to calculate strike temps.

I use an 8.5 gallon rectangular cooler with a CPVC manifold as a MLT.

Hey all, new here, been AG brewing for a bit. I am a numbers man, so I created a spreadsheet in which you can enter your grain bill and plan your step mash regime. All you need to enter is the grain bill, the target temps and the starting temps... the spreadsheet does the rest (quantities and temps). If anyone wants it, let me know, it is free LOL

Rob

Latest posts

Back