Boston Ale Clone, EXTRACT ONLY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadSquirrel

Reaction score
I'm on vacation next week, so I picked up some White Labs East Coast Ale and I've got a freezer full of fresh hops. Just about any kind I could get my hands on.

Now all I need is an EXTRACT ONLY clone recipe. I swear I'm about to start kibbying if I don't get one. I asked around and all I got were all grain options. WHICH DOESN'T HELP. I live in a tiny apt. in the 'hood so there is no way to mash. :(

I plan on making a Kolsch too. And I'm going to start brewing at midnight. I tried brewing last weekend starting at 6am, and by 8am, it was 95 degrees in my crap apt.

Anything anyone can post would be most helpful.

By "Boston" do you mean "Sam Adams"? I found these 2. I'm sure there are others.

Sam Adams

2 cans Unhopped Light extract
1 oz. Cascade hop
2 oz. Hallertau hops
Yeast Lager yeast

Bring gallon of cold water to a boil. Remove from heat and add 2 cans of Unhopped
light , Bring back to a boil. Add 1 oz. of Cascade hops and simmer for 30 minutes. Then add 1/2 oz. Hallertau hops and simmer for 10 minutes; add another 1/2 oz. Hallertau and simmer for another 10 minutes; add another 1/2 oz. Hallertau and simmer for another 10 minutes; At the last minute of simmer add 1/2 Hallertau.

Samuel Adams Taste-Alike Beer
1 can Munton & Fison Premium Kit
2 - 1 lb. packages Amber DME
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)
1 oz package Hallertauer hop pellets
1 oz package Tettnang hop pellets
Yeast 1 Packet yeast

Remove label from Kit and stand in warm water for 15-20 minutes. In a pot sufficient to boil 2 gallons of liquid, empty DME. Open can of malt and empty contents into pot onto DME. Using one gallon hot water, rinse out can and add to pot. Turn on heat and carefully bring to a boil. Add package of Hallertauer hops, Adjust heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add Tettnang hops and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, put 4 gallons cold water into primary fermenter. When boil is complete, empty hot wort into cold water. When temperature reaches 80 degrees Fahrenheit, open yeast and sprinkle onto surface of the wort and cover tightly. Place fermentation lock with water in lid. Allow beer to ferment for four days in primary fermenter, Transfer to clean secondary fermenter and allow to ferment for an additional 10 - 14 days. Syphon beer from secondary fermenter into clean bottling bucket. Dissolve priming sugar in a small amount of beer and add to bottling bucket. Fill clean bottles and cap. Let stand for 5 days at room temperature and then move to a cool place. Beer will be carbonated in 3 weeks and will improve for several months.

6 lbs dme
1 lbs crystal 40L (steep 30 min@ 155)

2 oz spalt (60 min)
.5 oz east kent gold (30 min)
.5 oz east kent gold (10 min)
1 oz fuggle (0 min)

1 tsp gypsum
1 tsp irish moss

east coast ale or irish ale yeast
ferment @ 65F

thier specs for this beer are:
og 1.048
ibu 33

yours will be:
og 1.054
ibu 35-37

ive brewed this 2 times and it rocks!

ps Sam Adams make a Boston Ale, a pale ale, a Black Lager, a wheat beer, a porter, a stout, a scotch ale, a christmas beer, a summer beer, a bock, a triple bock, a chocolate stout, a brown ale, and about ten more ive never tried yet...

All grain base malts can be converted to an extract equivalent. What was the recipe?

As a side. What is kibbying?

Bjorn Borg said:
6 lbs dme
1 lbs crystal 40L (steep 30 min@ 155)

2 oz spalt (60 min)
.5 oz east kent gold (30 min)
.5 oz east kent gold (10 min)
1 oz fuggle (0 min)

1 tsp gypsum
1 tsp irish moss

east coast ale or irish ale yeast
ferment @ 65F

thier specs for this beer are:
og 1.048
ibu 33

yours will be:
og 1.054
ibu 35-37

ive brewed this 2 times and it rocks!

ps Sam Adams make a Boston Ale, a pale ale, a Black Lager, a wheat beer, a porter, a stout, a scotch ale, a christmas beer, a summer beer, a bock, a triple bock, a chocolate stout, a brown ale, and about ten more ive never tried yet...

Okay stupid question, when you add hops for 0 minutes, what exactly do you do? Do you just add the hops and then leave it in while you cool the wort? Or do you dry hop it in some way?

edost said:
Okay stupid question, when you add hops for 0 minutes, what exactly do you do? Do you just add the hops and then leave it in while you cool the wort? Or do you dry hop it in some way?

i turn off the burner, throw the hops in there, quickly cover the pot, then place the kettle in an ice water bath and start cooling. Its like a simulated dryhop. You could also just dry hop an ounce or so too.

Blender said:
All grain base malts can be converted to an extract equivalent. What was the recipe?

As a side. What is kibbying?

:off:
To kibby is to twitch uncontrolably in frustration. Venture Bros. on Adult Swim is a perfect example. This guy Brock kibbies w/ the best of them!

Back