Classic bottle capper!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alee

Reaction score
This capper was given to me by my Dad. My grandfather made it while a toolmaker in England when he was young. It is very simple, yet a little dangerous to use. Simply place it on top of the cap and bottle and tap with a hammer or mallet. My dad used it for years of homebrewing. I have used it and never broke a bottle. It makes an extremely well capped beer. Of course, I now use a lever action capper, but sometimes finish off the job on stubborn caps with this old classic.
100_2026(Medium).jpg

100_2027(Medium).jpg

Very nice. Reminds me of the reloader I got from grandpa for the 30-30, dangerous and fun.

This capper was given to me by my Dad. My grandfather made it while a toolmaker in England when he was young.

That's awesome that it was made in your family; I'd hang it proudly in my brewing area.

When my father and mother got married they were very poor. He was a machinist and made their wedding rings out of scrap stainless steel there in the shop. The rings were perfect as he had mad skillz with the measuring calipers and cutting machines - some of his machining work was used by NASA for early moon shots.

Later when they clawed their way out of abject poverty they replaced the rings with "real" rings. That always confused me; I would think they would prefer the handmade originals. <shrug>

So what would it cost to mass produce these? Seems the equip makers want us to buy $40.00 cappers when a simple $5 solution is available?

So what would it cost to mass produce these? Seems the equip makers want us to buy $40.00 cappers when a simple $5 solution is available?

It's no quite that bad--the black beauty wing capper is around $13-15 at Northern Brewer, AHB, and Midwest.

Back