Moylans Kiltlifter Clone Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tborgman

Reaction score
So after about a 8 year hiatus and a 4 week long PNW/N. Cal brewery roadtrip I am finally back to brewing (this time stepping up to all grain). During the trip I fell in love with Moylans Kiltlifter Scottish style ale. I emailed Brendan Moylan and he sent me his spec sheet for the beer which is as follows:

Grain Bill:
American 2 Row
Crystal Malt 77L and 120L
Durst Vienna Malt
Munich Malt
Special B Malt
Acidulated Malt

Hops: East Kent Golding

Yeast: White Labs 001-Chico

IBUs: 25

OG: 1.080

Since I am new to all grain, I am having a bit of a difficult time figuring out the amounts of each malt that I should be using. My current setup only allows me to utilize about 13-14 pounds of grain for my mash (this will likely limit the amount of alcohol content I can realistically make) but I am thinking of using the following amounts:

American 2 row: 10 lbs
Crystal Malt 80L: .60 lbs
Crystal Malt 120L: .60 lbs
Vienna Malt: .50 lbs
Munich Malt: .50 lbs
Special B: .30 lbs
Carapils: .50 lbs

and 2 oz of Kent Goldings

Any information or experience factors anyone can provide on brewing this style or formulating my grain bill I would greatly appreciate.

It's been a few months since I had one of these, but I remember it as being a pretty dark beer... I'd consider upping the munich to a full pound if not a little more.

You can always throw in a pound of light DME and reduce your grains accordingly to get your OG to where you want it to be... in a beer like this, I doubt it'd affect the flavor in any noticeable way.

Hi tborgman,
Thank you so much for posting this recipe. As you requested, you wanted to know about amounts. Well...
I played with "Beer Tools" and figured out what might be a close one. I did take liberties however. I LOVE Kilt Lifter. However, I wanted to see a slightly higher alocohol content and also a slightly hoppier version. Sooo, Here is what I came up with. And by the way Brew day is tomorrow so we will see in several weeks time if it was anywhere near what it should be.

American 2 row (Domestic), 16 lb
Crystal Malt 77 L, 1 lb
Crystal Malt 120 L, .5lb
Vienna Malt (Caravienne), 1lb
Munich Malt (caramunich) 1lb
Special B – Caramel Malt, .3lb
Acidulated Malt, .5lb
East Kent Golding, 2oz (40 Min in the boil)
East Kent Golding, 1oz Dry Hop
5 gal batch
Kettle Volume 6.46 gal
Wort boil 1.25 hr
Efficiency 68%
Attenuation 75%(apparent), Real (59.2%)
OG 1.093
TG 1.023
Color 20.17 SRM
Bitterness 30.5
Alc 9.26%
Cal 312.84/ 12 oz serving