GBP vs Yeast for soda making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtonx

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I just joined actually, but I've been reading for a long time.

I am wondering whether there is any difference in flavor between using GBP vs Yeast (i.e. champagne yeast) to make soda?

Has anyone ever tried it? Does it taste the same? I know the CO2 level will be different. I've been researching like mad, but couldn't find any reference. I am super excited to be making my first homemade soda.

Thanks everyone!!! :)

Well, each yeast has its own attributes, but for simplicity sake using a commercial yeast is fine. Dried wine yeasts are inexpensive, so consider playing with other strains like cuvee and cotes de blanc.

To me GBP means one thing, the third option, while a 'ginger bug' is likely what you are talking about, the first two below:
-combining water, sugar + ginger and establishing a wild ferment starter
-combining water, sugar, ginger + commercial bread/wine yeast and establishing a starter
-or actually using traditional GBP, grain-type culture comprised of yeast and bacterium Saccharomyces florentinus and Brevibacterium vermiforme, like from gingerbeerplant.net or yemoos.com

Half a cup of first two per gallon will easily establish a soda, third one is my preference for ginger beer, scrumpy, & fermented fruit teas. I am currently playing with the wild ferment ginger bug right now, again, something I love to do each summer & fall. But you really need to try them and see what you like best.

Thanks for the reply saramc.

Do you notice any taste differences between using GBP and commercial yeast? Does it taste better with GBP? Any differences in carbonation?

If the soda tastes the same, I might opt to use commercial yeast and play around with different yeast strain to save cost.

Also, I read somewhere that the type of yeast use in soda making is irrelevant. That for the yeast to establish any flavors, it needs to ferment for a certain amount of time, and for soda making, fermentation time is just too short.

Well, each yeast has its own attributes, but for simplicity sake using a commercial yeast is fine. Dried wine yeasts are inexpensive, so consider playing with other strains like cuvee and cotes de blanc.

To me GBP means one thing, the third option, while a 'ginger bug' is likely what you are talking about, the first two below:
-combining water, sugar + ginger and establishing a wild ferment starter
-combining water, sugar, ginger + commercial bread/wine yeast and establishing a starter
-or actually using traditional GBP, grain-type culture comprised of yeast and bacterium Saccharomyces florentinus and Brevibacterium vermiforme, like from gingerbeerplant.net or yemoos.com

Half a cup of first two per gallon will easily establish a soda, third one is my preference for ginger beer, scrumpy, & fermented fruit teas. I am currently playing with the wild ferment ginger bug right now, again, something I love to do each summer & fall. But you really need to try them and see what you like best.

Also being new here, I don't want to step on saramc's expertise, but having made wild ginger bug, GBP, and champagne yeast ginger beers, I can tell you there is a significantly different taste among them. I assume its due to the lacto bacterium, as the wild and GBP had a more vinegary edge to them.

Tastewise and reliability wise, I prefer champagne yeast. I've seen anecdotal reports of people trying baker's yeast, but having off notes as a result.

Honestly, (champagne) yeast is so cheap relative to the cost of the ginger, I don't try to pinch pennies and just get the best champagne yeast I can find. Costs about 1.50 for a 5 gallon batch. Where the (organic whole foods) ginger will cost me 20-25 bucks for a 5 gallon batch. Just my two cents.

Talking soda making in general and not about ginger beer....

When using commercial wine yeasts for soda they always taste harsh and yeasty to me, but I will still use them. Red Star Champagne is my preference when I use champagne style yeast. I find the natural ginger bug yields a smoother soda all around, but I make natural fruit sodas a lot. (You can have a bug ready in 3-5 days in 70F environment.) But, I am also an admitted lactofermentation junkie and own and use just about every culture known to man!

Talking soda making in general and not about ginger beer....

When using commercial wine yeasts for soda they always taste harsh and yeasty to me, but I will still use them. Red Star Champagne is my preference when I use champagne style yeast. I find the natural ginger bug yields a smoother soda all around, but I make natural fruit sodas a lot. (You can have a bug ready in 3-5 days in 70F environment.) But, I am also an admitted lactofermentation junkie and own and use just about every culture known to man!

Is it an alcoholic product?I'm looking for a soda with a little punch

Any time you work with yeast you get alcohol. Just remember, the higher the ACV in your soda the more flavor you tend to lose or mask with alcohol. And I have made my share of boozy 'soda'. What is your idea of a 'little punch'?

Back