CT Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I'm a newish brewer (done about 8 batches, 1 all grain, and will be doing exclusively AG going forward). I live in central CT and was surprised to learn that north country malt is in Champlain, NY, which is just a couple miles from where I keep my sailboat up there. I'm usually up there twice a month May - September.

They're not taking "new home brewer accounts", but if anyone is interested, has a "home brewer account", and knows if they allow pickup, I'd be interesting in working out a few smaller group buys. Getting rid of shipping costs would be awesome, even with their new pricing scheme.

Edit: grammar

I think we can get this started again soon. Gimme a week to kick the tires on some website updates I made to the Masherator site (where I collect orders). There are some small changes to the process -- I will post the details soon.

I'm most likely in for the CT group buy.

Taunton is a haul for me, it cost me more in gas to get there and back than it would to buy a sack from my LHBS. Good luck filling the pallet though.

There are several people from CT buying (including me). I'd suggest posting in that thread to setup some kind of transportation.

Either way, goodluck.

Aight folks, sorry for the delay. The group buy has been posted on Masherator:
http://mash.azurewebsites.net/GroupBuys/Groups/Details/3

Shipping is $4-5/bag (depending on surcharges). See the link above for more details.

In the interest of full disclosure: there is an extremely small markup applied to the bags. There are many reasons for this mainly:
  1. In order to maintain the account I must be a homebrew shop and selling at cost gets my rep yelled at by his other accounts in CT. Charging a buck or two per bag and claiming to make it up in volume was enough to let him off the hook
  2. I need to cover costs I incur. There is a small hosting fee and I have purchased bags for splits in the past but the big issue going forward will be PayPal fees. We've always used the "personal transfer" feature to avoid fees but I was warned that PayPal is cracking down on this and heard of some whose accounts were banned! So...I am going to use the proper billing features of PayPal which *should* make things easier but does incur some fees.

For clarity; I am not trying to make a living at it I just don't want it to cost me anything. Plus if I can make this even slightly cash positive I can do it a bit more often. If you have questions or concerns about this PM me.

Aight folks, sorry for the delay. The group buy has been posted on Masherator:
http://mash.azurewebsites.net/GroupBuys/Groups/Details/3

Shipping is $4-5/bag (depending on surcharges). See the link above for more details.

In the interest of full disclosure: there is an extremely small markup applied to the bags. There are many reasons for this mainly:
  1. In order to maintain the account I must be a homebrew shop and selling at cost gets my rep yelled at by his other accounts in CT. Charging a buck or two per bag and claiming to make it up in volume was enough to let him off the hook
  2. I need to cover costs I incur. There is a small hosting fee and I have purchased bags for splits in the past but the big issue going forward will be PayPal fees. We've always used the "personal transfer" feature to avoid fees but I was warned that PayPal is cracking down on this and heard of some whose accounts were banned! So...I am going to use the proper billing features of PayPal which *should* make things easier but does incur some fees.

For clarity; I am not trying to make a living at it I just don't want it to cost me anything. Plus if I can make this even slightly cash positive I can do it a bit more often. If you have questions or concerns about this PM me.

Awesome!!! Thanks again for organizing this. It is greatly appreciated.

i'm not to familiar with the different brands of malt, which on the list would be considered a british pale malt used as a base for an irish dry stout. i usually email my recipe to my lhbs and pick it up mixed in a bag

i will be getting a mill shortly

here is a description of what i usually order

Pale Malt (Brewers 2-row) (British)
Pale Ale 2.2°
Moderate malt flavor. Used to produce traditional English and Scottish style ales

from looking around it appears they use muntons 2 row pale mlt

Is the pickup in Barkhamsted again or is this one moved? Thanks for putting this together!

-Josh

any chance of adding flaked maize?

Unfortunately, these folks don't offer flaked maize. I can get 25lb bags of flaked corn or rice and smaller bags of flaked barley, oats, wheat or rye...but no maize. Let me know if you would be interested in the corn and I can add it to the product list on Masherator.

Hi,

Is anyone from or near Fairfield County (Greenwich Stamford Norwalk etc) planning on making the trip up for this grain buy? If so please let me know I can use 5 bags we can work something out to compensate for the drive up and back.

Thanks
Scott

split a bag of pilsner if that ends up holding up the order I will buy the whole bag let me know

I had a dream last night that I was almost out of base malt... maybe I should get in on this

I've added a 25lb bag of flaked corn (per Doublebird) and 25 lb bag of flaked rice (per troutcatcher) to the product list.

Ummm yeah you should. The more grain you buy, the more great beers you make and I get to sample.

I just brewed the heady topper clone again! Oktoberfest just went on tap, a saison is also available. Gotta do a bottle share night soon.

Just signed up and ordered three bags of great western 2-row. This will be my first bulk purchase. I will be storing this in the basement - what is the best way to store grain in bulk?

Just signed up and ordered three bags of great western 2-row. This will be my first bulk purchase. I will be storing this in the basement - what is the best way to store grain in bulk?

Some people just leave it in the bags. Others pick up something called Vittles Vault that is used to store pet food. I chose to use a few home depot buckets. Pretty cheap alternative.

I think I put in for a bag of great western 2-row, a bag of flaked wheat and 1/2 bag of gambrinus honey malt - can you verify that I've done it right? I'm kinda moron..

I think I put in for a bag of great western 2-row, a bag of flaked wheat and 1/2 bag of gambrinus honey malt - can you verify that I've done it right? I'm kinda moron..

You did it right, however, we hit the capacity for 1 pallet on Friday. Each order item is date stamped so if we can't promptly fill a second pallet (within the next 5 days), I'll split off everything that was ordered after 9/13 into a separate order which will be processed when full.

So I guess, spread the word to anyone you know who might be interested in more grain and we'll see if we can fill out the second pallet this week!

I would also like to get in on this buy. I was in on another group last year but it seems like they are shut down since no one is selling to just homebrewers anymore.

I am in for 2 bags pale. Not sure what flavor yet, browsed your site and signed up already. Where specifically will the pick-up occur? I live in Windsor, so this is a great deal for me!

I will copy this thread into the other one since those fellas are looking to buy but cant do to supplier issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back