Transferring from carboy with co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_C

Reaction score
I transferred from secondary (better bottle) to keg by connecting co2 to the carboy through the orange hood cap (see picture). Is there anything wrong with doing this? I was worried that the carboy might not be able to hold the pressure (though I kept the psi at 3-5). Thanks. It worked just fine for me.

image-1306924479.jpg

thats an interesting idea... i usually just siphon mine into the keg, never really had a problem with oxidization, i just wouldnt want to waste co2 doing something like this, but thats just me

Nothing wrong with it at all as long as you keep the pressure low. Sounds like you did. Cant tell from the pic, but I would probably make sure to use a gas disconnect on the other side as opposed to just using the pressure relief. Just in case it closed without me noticing. And I would use as low a pressure as possible.

I found out that if the pressure gets too high the carboy cap will pop off of the bottle. I also once made the mistake of connecting the carboy to a keg that had a few PSI in it. The CO2 blew the yeast back into the cleared wort.

I do the same thing with a better bottle. I would think you'd be fine at the PSI you stated with a glass carboy.

I do it in glass, no problems so far. I have popped the cap once or twice, and it really makes you jump when you're thinking in "bullet time" you're about to be ripped apart by carboy shrapnel at the bang going off.

That being said, I also don't use this method to "push" the entire contents. Instead I only use it to start my siphon from a carboy above the keg. Once the beer is flowing to the keg, I disconnect the CO2 line from the regulator to prevent a vacuum from forming and halting the transfer.

Thanks for the responses. The hood started to open up a little at the bottom, but next time I will put a large oetiker clamp around it (though I want to be careful it doesn't turn into a Better Bomb :eek:). I was using a plastic carboy.

The main reason I did it was so that I didn't have to move the carboy for siphoning after cold crashing in the freezer, which would send yeast and other particles back into my clear beer. It's pretty hard to lift a carboy out of a chest freezer without some shaking (and I'm pretty strong too :cool:). Plus, I don't like dealing with siphons.

I used to do it all the time without issue. CO2 start and gravity finish works also, but my 13.5 gallon carboys don't get moved with any contents:(

I went to combo CO2/vacuum method that works sweet. Pump a little CO2 in carboy, insert racking cane connected to liquid out a couple of inches above the beer, start vacuum at gas in to displace atmosphere in cornie with CO2, start lowering racking cane until keg is full.
No pressure, no problem. Have needle valve to regulate the vacuum using this thing I got from ambulance company yard sale.

vacuum.jpg

Cant tell from the pic, but I would probably make sure to use a gas disconnect on the other side as opposed to just using the pressure relief. Just in case it closed without me noticing.

Correct, I was just using the pressure relief valve. Could you explain what you mean by using a gas disconnect on the other side? And how would this help if the pressure relief valve shut? I think I know what you're saying but I want to be sure. I've been a longtime bottler and now I've just moved into the world of kegging. It's awesome and fun but I am finding all the different fittings, connections, CO2 stuff, etc. a bit overwhelming (still beats bottling hundreds of beers!). Thanks

Correct, I was just using the pressure relief valve. Could you explain what you mean by using a gas disconnect on the other side? And how would this help if the pressure relief valve shut? I think I know what you're saying but I want to be sure. I've been a longtime bottler and now I've just moved into the world of kegging. It's awesome and fun but I am finding all the different fittings, connections, CO2 stuff, etc. a bit overwhelming (still beats bottling hundreds of beers!). Thanks

I just meant that I prefer to snap on a disconnect fitting on the other side of the corny as a means of relieving the pressure in the receiving keg. I like it for two reasons. First, it is insurance for me to that I don't accidentally close the relief and then effectively pressurize the whole system. When I use a disconnect (just the grey disconnect with no hose or anything) I am assured the keg is venting. And second, because I transfer from a keg primary to a corny where I cant see the liquid moving, it is easy to put your eye right up to the venting disconnect and feel the displaced co2 coming out and know that beer is moving.

Sorry for being late on this one?

Im just building mine this weekend. Only think Im not sure about is what type of line should I use on the liquid side? Should I use the left over 5/16 ID Beer line I have left over or should I use the 3/8 tubing I have that I have been using on my auto siphon?

Back