How to brew in garage without running water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
How to brew in winter in the garage presents some problems. Biggest problem is using an immersion cooler without running water or a drain.

No problem in the summer, just run the garden hose and another one to drain out the back door. What do you do in the winter?

I still use my garden hose. I collect the runoff in my mash tun & in another bucket to use for cleaning. And I drain the hose really well so it's not a block of ice next time.

How to brew in winter in the garage presents some problems. Biggest problem is using an immersion cooler without running water or a drain.

No problem in the summer, just run the garden hose and another one to drain out the back door. What do you do in the winter?

just continue to run it out the back door on the lawn; although I do use a Kerosene Heater to keep the garage inside above freezing; then drain the hose afterwards....

this winter i was able to brew a few times, but normally, i just don't brew much in the winter.

It's a pain and adds some time to the brew day but I do everything the same except drain and coil the hose back up in the garage when done so it doesn't freeze, oh and some ice melt on the drive so my kids and wife don't slip and sue me!

i half fill an extra large cooler the night before and let it sit out and freeze. When its time to chill i carry 10 more gallons of water and dump it in on the ice. I use a submersible pump to pump this through my IC.

I use my hose periodically in the winter. If it is frozen, throw hot water on it. Once you get it flowing, dont turn it off. I would imagine that the freezing water would be great for wort cooling.

If you don't have a drain or water supply than the submersible fountain pump idea is probably the best option.

I have a laundry room that shares a wall with the garage so I put a "T" in the cold supply line for wash machine and ran it out to a spigot a added to the front of my work bench. It works great for brewing day.

My question is: what do you do about propane exhaust gasses while brewing in the garage through the winter?

I have been brewing in my garage all winter. I can't wait till warmer temps.
As far as gasses go, I have found that with 1 burner going, my 2 car garage gets so warm that I have to open the door anyway. Seems to do the trick.
Also had luck with just running my garden hose. There have been a couple freezing issues. Just always keep some warm water nearby.
I love the pump ideas and will probably be moving toward something like these.
Anyway, just my 2cents.
Cheers

I don't have to worry about the carbon monoxide in the winter. I brew on our back patio. Freezing my balls off seems to be my problem.

I got a co detector for my garage. It has never gone off. I run a gas heater and the burner and I've never had a problem. I keep the door about 1/4 open to let some air circulate.

i also use the tap for my chiller. I keep the hose in my basement and just drain it really well after I use it. I rigged up a faucet in my basement thinking I would just do the cooling down there but never had to use it.

I have a "squirrel cage" blower (from a scrapped furnace) mounted on the back wall of my garage with the exhaust running through the wall. On the outside of wall, I installed a clothes dryer vent "flapper door thingy".

I normally use it when I'm welding or something in the garage but I have been using it with the propane burner on the floor nearby. I haven't noticed any issues but I have always been curious if it was enough. Guess I should buy a monitor for the garage.

I crack the door 6", and between that and the ceiling vents, keeping warm is the main issue. Drain the hose out the sideyard, and make sure the hose is drained well enough not to ice up.

Simple solution. Move to warmer climate. I started brewing in the winter and have enjoyed 60-70 degree days every brew day so far :)

Simple solution. Move to warmer climate. I started brewing in the winter and have enjoyed 60-70 degree days every brew day so far :)

Hows that chilling and fermenting going for ya?:) To the OP... I use 50/50 RO / tap water so I don't need a hose to fill my HLT.. I fill my 50% tap water the night before in the ferment buckets and let it dechlorinate over night. I keep my chiller hose and IC in the house. When it comes time to chill I bring the hose out, hook it up and start to chill. I fill buckets to use as clean up water. I disconnect the hose when the wort is chilled and put the hose back to the house before it freezes up.

iaefebs said:
Hows that chilling and fermenting going for ya?:)

Good. I have a closet that stays around 65 degrees all day and night. An am looking to build a chest freezer fermenter. Chilling the wort does take longer as the groundwater is around 60 degrees.

Good. I have a closet that stays around 65 degrees all day and night. An am looking to build a chest freezer fermenter. Chilling the wort does take longer as the groundwater is around 60 degrees.

Not bad... plus you get that free stir plate motion every once in awhile.:rockin:

Thanks for the ideas. Freezing water in a cooler overnight, topping off with water on brew day and recirculating with submersible pump sounds good to me. Plumbing water is not an option.

Garage is attached with heated workshop in the back. Have CO2 detector and will leave workshop door open to garage with fan if needed.

Shawshank24, thanks for the pump link. It shows two pumps, the blue 132 GPM and the yellow 66 GPM. Which one did you get? PM me if you like.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back