Cider Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
I've already asked my question in a thread on the Beginners section (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/cider-yeast-beer-146524/) but maybe I should have posted it here first.

A partial mash recipe I'm planning to do calls for Wyeast 3766 Cider yeast.

I was wondering if cider yeast can be used to ferment beer and will it have any effect on the taste or the fermentation process ?

Thanks for your replies !

I'm sure you could use it to ferment out your beer...

And yes, it will have an effect on the taste and fermentation. I suspect you won't get very many responses because not very many people have tried it.

Are you sure that they didn't list the yeast as a typo? What style of *beer* is it?

I find the Cider yeast from White Labs to be closer to a wine yeast than an ale yeast, however, it does get an ale like krausen. If it were me, I'd probably choose a yeast more suited for the style, which is what exactly?

Thank you both for your replies.

The recipe is actually for a Mexican Light Cerveza.

I thought someone put out a seasonal mexican ale yeast. ... but i know that WLP940 is a mexican lager yeast. Maybe thats the seasonal one. You may want to look into it if you want to stay true to style. If not...I'd use WLP001 or US-05, something clean.

I looked up that wyeast cider and they say the number is 4766, not 3766...But one thing you may not want in that style of beer (which I am unfamilar with) is that it has a "fruity finish."

I thought someone put out a seasonal mexican ale yeast. ... but i know that WLP940 is a mexican lager yeast. Maybe thats the seasonal one. You may want to look into it if you want to stay true to style. If not...I'd use WLP001 or US-05, something clean.

I looked up that wyeast cider and they say the number is 4766, not 3766...But one thing you may not want in that style of beer (which I am unfamilar with) is that it has a "fruity finish."

yeah, the white labs "mexican lager yeast" is the modelo strain. I've done a cerveza style beer before, it was 67% 2-row, 30% corn, 3% crystal 10L. I fermented it with us-05 at about 60F. turned out really good, and very refreshing.

Latest posts

Back