No activity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majikcook

Reaction score
Good morning,
Yesterday I purchased a High Sierra kit with a tube of yeast. I brewed it last night, and this morning I do not see, or should say hear any activity in the bucket. It's been 12 hours, and usually I would be hearing some bubbling by now. First time I used the tube yeast so maybe it takes longer. Followed all instructions, so I know I did it right. If no activity tonight, I have a pack of dry yeast handy. Should I re-pitch after 24 hours if nothing going on?
Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to pitch more if you have no activity...I did that once, and then it took off . Follow the directions on the pack. Ive had better luck doing that than just pitching it dry. Give it 24 hours or so first though. It may just be taking off slow. You have an air lock on the bucket right?

it could take a little bit longer than the dry yeast. give it 24 hours, and if you pitch more yeast, pitch the same yeast you originally threw in to start with...

maybe check out a thread or two about starters for liquid yeast, almost a requirement for good jump starts on fermentation. :)

Thanks guys. Yes, there is an air lock on. It's just that the other yeasts I've used started activity after an evening, and this one didn't. I'll wait till tonight and if nothings up I'll repitch with some dry I have that was sent in a kit for a IPA. I'm making a APA so I think it will be fine.

A tip i got from a guy at the HBS was to buy some extra packets of dry yeast and keep them in the fridge for when that kind of thing happens. For .75 a pack it doesnt hurt to keep a few around.

I bet it's just fine and will take off. Liquid yeast packs, despite all claims to the contrary, NEED a starter made. They have a much lower cell count than a pack of dry yeast. So, to get a fast, vigorous ferment, you should really make a starter. It's easy to do. Look on this board for lots of discussion of it.

Short version: make a small batch of wort with DME (half gallon), then chill it and add yeast to it in a small jug with an airlock. Wait a couple days and then use that for your yeast pitch on brew day. You'll see a BIG difference. Cheers! :D

Thanks again,
I checked it tonight and she's blowin tough. Guess the tube yeast just took longer to get rolling. I'll make a starter next time Janx, I see where that would have helped

Latest posts

Back