Carbonation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klearn

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I bottled two batches of beer at the same time. One an amber ale and the other a pumpkin ale. Bottle 2 weeks ago. The amber ale is fully carbonated while the pumpkin is as flat as could be. I have them in the basement where it is a little colder then recommended for conditioning, but if one is done, shouldn't the other? I did a second racking with the pumpkin for over a month. Left the amber ale for only 2 weeks in the primary before bottling. Is yeast settling the issue? What's the fix to this? No Kegging system so carb drops? The amber was a pretty run of the mill beer but the pumpkin was a high octane at 9.9 abv, not sure if that matter.
Appreciate any thoughts you may have,
Thanks!

Higher gravity beers take longer. Carbonating is a fool proof process. Just leave them at ~70 degrees until they are ready. If you did everything right at bottling time (added sugar) then they will eventually carb up.

Bigger beer, probably less yeast in the bottles than the amber. It'll carb, just give it time.

Also worrying about whether a 9% beer is fully carbed after 2 weeks is a little silly don't you think?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Pumpkin beers have taking me about 6-8 weeks.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Latest posts

Back