Basic Cider Making Instructions - Peach/Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_and_a_brews

Reaction score
I've done other home brewing, but this is my first time making cider. I would like to make a 5-gallon batch of peach/apple cider.

-I have tons of fresh peaches and apples that I plan on juicing and using.
-I also purchased Campden tablets for getting rid of any bacteria in the juice, white and brown sugar, yeast nutrient, and Champagne yeast.
-I've done some reading about types of yeast to use, and it sounds like the Champagne yeast might be too dry. What other types of yeasts would work better?

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a basic recipe to follow using the ingredients I have, or let me know what I should still pick up before brewing. I'm not too picky about the sweetness as long as it's drinkable - somewhere between a Strongbow and a Woodchuck would make me happy. Any info would help. Thanks!

From my limited experience and the one friend I have gotten into brewing I've only seen 2 yeasts so far used in cider. I used S-04 and the FG ended up at .996, pretty dry and my friend used champagne yeast and ended at .993 so not much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. As for taste differences, neither left a yeasty taste, as for side by side comparisons I couldn't tell you. He brew pure apple cider and mine is a pure peach cider.

I actually don't care for Nottingham. I think US-05 is a cleaner ale yeast. I have a batch of 1118 going now. You could always reserve some juice, use champagne yeast, ferment dry, and backsweeten with more juice. Not too easy with champagne yeast, unless you keg and keep cold, but worth a shot.

t_and_a_brews said:
How did you make your peach cider -- just curious.

Same way you make apple cider. Get a couple gallons of peach cider (grabbed mine from the local farmers market' tossed some yeast in, and let nature do its thing.

As for the specifics, 1 gallon is getting turned into peach cobbler cider (cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves) another gallon is being turned into a sweet tea peach cider and the third gallon is the control.

How did your peach ciders turn out?

I'm looking at trying it. I was curious about whether or not it was peach juice that was fermented alone or peach + apple juice.

I used a peach puree and a white wine yeast (I don't like ale yeasts and champagne yeasts strip too much flavor out) and I had to cheat it with artificial flavorings from the brew store. Peach nectar might be the way to go for peach cider. Though we may not be able to call it cider after February 10 cause the cider summit is gonna put limits on what is called cider.

Back