Bottle conditioning temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAbrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just bottled my first batch. All seemed to go well. I am from PA, and the temperatures have finally gotten warm in these parts. My house has warmed up to about 73-75 degrees during the day. I am starting to wonder if i should move the bottled brew to a cooler location for the remainder of the conditioning phase. I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout. I am probably going to test one out after a week, which will be this Sunday. The rest will go as long as i can hold out.

:mug:

From what I understand the most important part of the process as it relates to temperature is the primary and secondary fermentation. This is where the yeasties are doing most of their work and a point where higher temps can cause fruity like estery flavors in the beer. Once the beer is done fermenting and you bottle it, the yeasties only do a little bit more work in order to carbonate the brew. I think this is less likely to be affected by the higher temps.

Bottom line I've conditioned at 75 and had beers turn out just fine. If you can do it at cellar temps all the better but if thats not avaliable to you I wouldnt worry

Cheers

That temp is perfect.

I had a brew sitting at 64 degrees that didn't "budge" for 2 1/2 weeks. Moved them upstairs to a 72 degree room and one week later...perfect.

Leave em where they are.

Latest posts

Back