wyeast 1010 in wheat wort, sulphur smelling CO2 coming from blowoff bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
Just brewed chamomile wheat yesterday and pitched the 1010 smackpack into my carboy. Krausen rose rapidly this morning(awesome) and im noticing a very distinct sulphur smell as the gas escapes the water (w star san) in the blowoff bucket. Im extremely anal about sanitizing and doubt an infection is present. Any thoughts guys?

It is my understanding that this is standard with 1010 (at least from what I have read here on HBT.) I pitched it on a Summer Citrus Wheat I brewed yesterday, I will have to check for the smell.

Yeah let me know whatcha come up with. I have good clean well water with iron but no sulphur( first three batches were fine) not sure if its some compound(s) in the chamomile or organic honey causing the odor. Just found it odd.

Would you happen to know is it high-floc? Does a beer brewed w 1010 typically take longer to carb in a bottle if too much yeast settles out?

I've had the same experience with this yeast. The 1010 threw a sulphury smell after pitching from the smack pack. I later used a 2nd generation of that yeast (washed then created a starter), and the smell was much less potent. maybe because I was making starters and pitching a better amount? Either way, it tasted great even after the smell. give it time!

Yep, I do have that (nice?) sulphury smell coming out when I open the door to my fermentation chamber which is to be expected.

According to Wyeast's site:

A strong fermenting, true top cropping yeast that produces a dry, slightly tart, crisp beer. Ideal for beers when a low ester profile is desirable.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 58-74° F (14-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

So I don't think you have to worry about carb issues. This my first batch with this yeast so I can't speak from personal experience, but I wouldn't worry.

Good to know- and nice alcohol tolerance too i may just dump another lb of honey into the secondary when i rack next week

I've ready this same thing before, about the 1010 smelling of sulpher. But I pitched 1010 nine days ago, and the first 48-72hrs were incredibly fruity smelling.

would temp afftect this?
my basement is steady at about 72 degrees, and i dont have really and means or provisions right now to drop the temp. can i expect it to mellow out before bottling? i suppose i could secondary it but im gonna need another carboy i guess...

That is towards the high end of the range, so that could be part of it. High temps due have a tendency to create fruit esters. Again, I don't have much experience with this yeast (or brewing in general), but that is what I have read up here on HBT. I would give it a taste before bottling and see if the esters are prevalent. Either way it is still going to be beer so enjoy.

Fruit esters are ok with mr in a whaet- it's the rotten ass smell that im hoping goes away when fermentation is complete. im hoping not to secondary this beer because i had plans for it in the near futue, but i think it may help clear the sulfur up a bit.

Back