MD/DC grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/dc-metro-area-group-buy-1-a-399655/#post5032592

This is the link to buy #1. Please use that one for posting what you want. We can keep this thread going for questions and discussions. After the buy is full, I will close the above thread and open a new one each time that way I have all the purchases for a buy in one thread and don't have to sort through this one as it has been going a long time. If we can keep the other one dedicated to just I want xx grains posts, it will make it easier on me I think. We can use this thread to talk about other things. We'll see how that goes.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/dc-metro-area-group-buy-1-a-399655/#post5032592

This is the link to buy #1. Please use that one for posting what you want. We can keep this thread going for questions and discussions. After the buy is full, I will close the above thread and open a new one each time that way I have all the purchases for a buy in one thread and don't have to sort through this one as it has been going a long time. If we can keep the other one dedicated to just I want xx grains posts, it will make it easier on me I think. We can use this thread to talk about other things. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for setting this up stonebrewer.

Two quick questions:

1) Which price list are we using for buy #1?
2) Where is pickup?

I am using both price lists for buy #1. From what I have seen in the past, there are going to be folks that want the cheaper base grains, and others who will want some of the variety that the other list has. We will see how this goes and if the group gravitates toward one or the other, or if we need to continue with both sources.

Pickup will be at my house in Rockville. Once we get this thing off the ground I will PM folks that are in the buy with the address and dates/times to pickup.

I notice that both lists don't have DME. Was that a "no go" for either LHBS?

Not a no go, my focus to get started was on grain. If you want me to look into prices for DME, I can. I need to talk to Stefin sometime and pick his brain about trends when he was doing this. I don't use LME or DME very often but that doesn't mean I can't add it to the list if people want it. Just need to get a feeling for what people are going to want.

DME is a pain to deal with as soon as the bag is opened (regardless of whether it is opened voluntarily or accidentally). as long as the bag is kept sealed and unbroken, i'm sure it's fine. the consequences of a broken bag of DME can't be pretty. you can just sweep up spilled grains. DME, not so much.

suggestion: letting people split a bag of DME at your place is a bad idea... have them haul away the whole thing and let them deal with that elsewhere :D

rain could also be a huge pain. i'm not sure what type of fiber/paper/etc DME is packaged in, but i pray to the beer gods that it's waterproof. if it isn't, and the bag gets rained upon... yuck. you'd need a jackhammer to break that thing up afterwards. i'm assuming the manufacturer has thought of this.

DME is a pain to deal with as soon as the bag is opened (regardless of whether it is opened voluntarily or accidentally). as long as the bag is kept sealed and unbroken, i'm sure it's fine. the consequences of a broken bag of DME can't be pretty. you can just sweep up spilled grains. DME, not so much.

suggestion: letting people split a bag of DME at your place is a bad idea... have them haul away the whole thing and let them deal with that elsewhere :D

rain could also be a huge pain. i'm not sure what type of fiber/paper/etc DME is packaged in, but i pray to the beer gods that it's waterproof. if it isn't, and the bag gets rained upon... yuck. you'd need a jackhammer to break that thing up afterwards. i'm assuming the manufacturer has thought of this.

I kept a tarp around... but only ever had to use it once. the DME is fairly well sealed in there, the Breiss and GW stuff was much worse, as it was one layer plastic.

That would be great if DME could be included. I'm only interested in full sacks so no split is necessary. Actually I'm looking to pick up 200-250 lbs. I'm bummed with the increase from CMG because the previous price was great. Very interested what these guys can do.

Seriously though, this is great the group buys are able to keep going!

Okay a couple quick questions for the new group buy. Does anyone know what the levibond is on the Weyermann light and dark Munich malt is, looked on their site and couldn't figure out exactly since they don't list it as light or dark munich. Also is PBW going to be available like before, I know it is not at the same pick up spot, but wasn't clear if we were still going to have cleaners and adjuncts available at reduced prices. One last thing did anything get worked out as special buys on yeast and hops? Thanks for the hard work guys.

Okay a couple quick questions for the new group buy. Does anyone know what the levibond is on the Weyermann light and dark Munich malt is, looked on their site and couldn't figure out exactly since they don't list it as light or dark munich....

I can partially answer your first question.

Per Annapolis Home Brew's grain list:
Code:
Weyermann Munich 
Type 1   5.1–6.9 °L
Type 2   8.1–9.9 °L
Weyermann themselves list in their (pdf) catalog on page 29:
Code:
Certified organic Munich Malt
      EBC      Lovibond
 I  12 - 18   5.1 - 7.3
II  20 - 25   8.1 - 9.9
Can we assume Type 1 is "light" and Type 2 is "dark"? They're both pretty light.

Compare this with Briess' Munich 10 and 20, respective of their °Lovibond.

Okay a couple quick questions for the new group buy. Does anyone know what the levibond is on the Weyermann light and dark Munich malt is, looked on their site and couldn't figure out exactly since they don't list it as light or dark munich. Also is PBW going to be available like before, I know it is not at the same pick up spot, but wasn't clear if we were still going to have cleaners and adjuncts available at reduced prices. One last thing did anything get worked out as special buys on yeast and hops? Thanks for the hard work guys.

Lovibond question answered I think.

I will talk to him about PBW. Stefin had a jug of it, maybe if he buys grain he can bring it over and I can distro for him, or I can look into getting some. I have 3 bags of it right now, so it wasn't a priority item. For that matter, I have 4-5 sacks of grain, but I like to keep that pipe well filled as I brew 10G at a time which eats about half a sack at a time.

No special buys on yeast and hops yet. Will look into it and discuss, but focus for first buy is grain. Have asked about DME and crystal, still waiting on answers.

Lovibond question answered I think.

I will talk to him about PBW. Stefin had a jug of it, maybe if he buys grain he can bring it over and I can distro for him, or I can look into getting some. I have 3 bags of it right now, so it wasn't a priority item. For that matter, I have 4-5 sacks of grain, but I like to keep that pipe well filled as I brew 10G at a time which eats about half a sack at a time.

No special buys on yeast and hops yet. Will look into it and discuss, but focus for first buy is grain. Have asked about DME and crystal, still waiting on answers.

will gladly part with much PBW :)

carapils too!

I have found some ball lock kegs for $40 apiece if we can get 10 or more together. If you are interested, PM me and I will set something up if there is enough interest. I think we will need 10 kegs to get the $40 price as they are going for $45 apiece. The guy has at least 100 of them...I have 10 already but would be willing to buy 2 for S&G.

Tony

Kudos to stonebrewer for putting together the successful first "new" group buy! It was great to meet you and chat about brew & world travel.

It's fantastic this will still be an option in the DC area! Hope there is interest in keeping this going. From the way I see it, that went off without a hitch!

The keg guy was a nut job who kept promising to meet up and then changed plans and then stopped replying altogether. So for now, we can't get any. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

I'm sure some of you guys know, Midwest supplies has a current promotion till May 5th. Buy $100 giftcard, get $25 free, which in term of kegs brings them right around $50 plus shipping

The keg guy was a nut job who kept promising to meet up and then changed plans and then stopped replying altogether. So for now, we can't get any. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

Thanks for checking, stonebrewer.

Good to find out sooner than later the guy is a jerk. His cornies may have fallen in the same category, for all we know.

Perhaps we can do a bulk buy for cornies somehow. The Chicago list has one going for brand new imports, IIRC. I am in the market for 4 or 6.

Back