Wood Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirrp

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with anything other than oak chips in their beers? If so what types and where did you get them?

Oak if popular, Cedar, beechwood chips, Cherry wood, white oak, ash and apple will all work, but i suggest doing a test to see how the wood will effect the beer first. Wood used for smokeing meats or even the cedar block in boxes of cigars is a cheap way to get a chunk of cedar .(most smoke shops will sell them to you for $1 for the box and wood)

I have a bunch of boxes of smoking chips. They are Steven Reichlen bbq smoking chips. Each box is for pork, chix, beef, or whatever. I've used the ones for poultry which is mostly apple wood. But with some oak and cherry too. I like using wood chips in the secondary. Makes for a smooth finish.

I'm interested in this too. I've been wanting to use maple wood in a beer, but I don't really know how to prepare it. I've been looking at maple planks you can use for BBQ...

i was going to make a smoked blackberry stout and add some cherry wood to my primary after fermentation. i would also want to know if that a good idea?

vinyl_key said:
I'm interested in this too. I've been wanting to use maple wood in a beer, but I don't really know how to prepare it. I've been looking at maple planks you can use for BBQ...

Here's how I do it: wash the chips under water to remove any dust, let them air dry for a day, then steam the woodchips for 15 to 20 mins, lay them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake them at 350 for 20 mins. Steaming sanitizies them and the baking removes the moisture I assume. Let them cool before dropping them in ur secondary. I only leave them in for 48 hours or so. Any longer and I think it imparts too much wood flavor.

Back