Calculating Amount to Pitch from Harvested Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The default on the sliders is non-rinsed slurry that has settled for a few days.

There is a little info on that here:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/repitch.html

It would be nice if the calculator included a box to enter the number of days the yeast has settled in the fridge which could be used by the program to estimate a default thickness.

I had it in the fridge for a month. Is it "4.5" at that point? I don't know.. so I split the difference. I ended up making a 1.5L starter with it and it was so active and produced so much yeast I decided by the seat of my pants I had enough and put it in the fridge for a few days. On brew day I decanted and added another 1L to get it going and pitched that when it was nice an active. How much was in there? Beats me.. wish I knew for sure.. but its been going pretty good though.

Chris

I too would like some insight on what to enter in the MrMalty Calculator for washed yeast. I brewed a 12 gallon batch of CDA with an OG of 1.061. I made a 4 quart starter with 85ml of 2 1/2 week old washed 1450 on my stir plate based on MrMalty's default settings for slurry. Now I am worried that I over pitched. What do you guys think?

Back