couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
yesterday at noon I started my first attempt at cider.
it is also my first attempt at fermenting anything.
I'm making it in a 1 gal bottle with an air lock.
yesterday it looked like it was churning and the airlock was bubbling good.
today there is no churning it's bubbling very little and there is a brown foam on the top.
I was going to shake it around but I thought I would check with people in the know before I do anything.

I just used apple concentrate and yeast.
the hydro. read 1.04 and said there was a potential for 5% alc.
my question on this is if I try for 4% would that leave a sweet cider
how long before I should take my next hydro reading.

thanks

It is probably still fermenting even though the airlock isn't active. Don't trust an airlock, trust your hydrometer. If it has truely stopped, a hydrometer taken in the span of a few days will be the same. If it is stuck, use a little yeast energizer/nutrient to get it going again. Stir/swirl it in, don't shake. Oxygen in the cider is asking for problems.

Your thinking is right about 4%, but the method is difficult, especially for a beginner to accomplish. Thing is, even if it is a stuck fermentation, something will happen to cause it to start going again, like bottling or something. Anyway, since this is your first batch, let it go dry and see what it is like.

I see some yeast dies at lower alc%
say it was 8% and your hydro read a potential for 10%
would that leave you with a sweet cider in the end
instead of back sweetening

Are there any preservatives listed in the concentrate ingredients? Fermenting for a day and then stopping sounds like classic k-sorbate symptoms. You should see airlock activity for at least a week.

OB111: The answer is maybe. The ABV on yeast isn't exact, more like an average, and nothing to toy with.

It's your first brew project, so we can't assume you've taken proper steps for:

What temp?

What was your process?

How did you sanitize?

What kind of yeast?

In what way did you prepare the yeast, or no prep?

Tell us more, so that we can help you.

no k-sorbate
I think all the yeast floated to the top of the 1 gal bottle
I gave the bottle a little tilt ( enough to make a small wave on the top) and all the floating foam sunk to the bottom and within 20 minutes it started bubbling
and it hasn't stopped since
it lets out a co2 bubble every 3 seconds.

the process was

1 gal motts apple juice

I cleaned my bottle and tools with diversol (from wine maker shop)

the temp was room temp about 20 C ( 68 F )

LALVIN EC-1118 champagne yeast

took hydro reading

after cleaning and rinsing well, I put juice in bottle put in 1/4 pack yeast
swirled around and put on the air lock
nothing fancy I wasn't sure if I should have added sugar ( so I didn't)

I thought I would keep it simple for the first time (missionary style):D

when should I do a hyrdo test again and when should I syphon into second bottle for second rack
(I think it's called second rack)

With the yeast you used I wouldn't be surprised if it took off like a rocket. If you pitched yesterday I would check tomorrow or possibly the next day and see how close you are to 1.010 then rack and do whatever it is you're doing to stop it from going completely dry (like adding potassium sorbate and campden).

I know somebody will probably pop in and say I'm crazy but that's fine. I've had cider go from over 1.060 to less than 1.000 in under seven days. Keep a watchful eye and you might catch it at the right moment.

With the yeast you used I wouldn't be surprised if it took off like a rocket. If you pitched yesterday I would check tomorrow or possibly the next day and see how close you are to 1.010 then rack and do whatever it is you're doing to stop it from going completely dry (like adding potassium sorbate and campden).

I know somebody will probably pop in and say I'm crazy but that's fine. I've had cider go from over 1.060 to less than 1.000 in under seven days. Keep a watchful eye and you might catch it at the right moment.

well your not crazy I just checked it and I'm at 1.015
I guess 1 gal would be quicker than 5 gal
well I'm going to transfer it now
thanks

Back