Ending a Cold Crash. Will sediments rise as it warms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as_saturn_ascends

Reaction score
I am getting ready to end my first Cold Crash with a rather light ale.

I will be bottle conditioning and am not worried about having enough yeast. It seems obvious after reading over the forums that a 4 day cold crash would not require additional yeast.

I am concerned about taking the carboy that I am cold crashing and pulling it out of my fridge to warm up. I have heard some people say that the proteins etc. that have settled out will rise back up and dissolve back into the beer making it hazy again.

Is this true? Should I rack to a separate carboy and allow that to warm up before bottling time? Or will I be okay just taking my carboy out of the fridge and allowing it to warm up to 68F on its own?

Why do you want to warm up the carboy? Take it outta the fridge, rack to bottling bucket and bottle. Have no idea if beer will become hazy again....seems like that will only happen if you shake the tar out of it. But really, no need to warm it up to bottle it.

Sounds like I will be bottling cold then! In that case...... Have any of you tried the sugar calculators for bottling cold? I really want this beer to be carbonated correctly, and im not really sure weather i trust using the cold calculator converters... Im sure they are accurate though.

I estimate the brew would be about 35-40F when I bottle.
Anyone think I would be out of line with 3/4 cup corn sugar?
This beer is desired to have lots of carbonation.

Exactly. Rack to packaging while cold.

I may try cold crashing also, but I thought that after you bottled, you need to bring the beer to room temperature (65-70) for it to carbonate for a few weeks?

I may try cold crashing also, but I thought that after you bottled, you need to bring the beer to room temperature (65-70) for it to carbonate for a few weeks?

it does, bottle it while cold and then let it warm up to room temp.

cold crashing is done in bulk. After you rack to the bottles you can bring the beer up to temp for bottle conditioning/carbing .All the crud is left in the fermentation bucket/secondary .

How many days is required to cold crash ? I'd have to set the carboy outside and I am afraid it will freeze if I leave it even overnight. Temps are in the 20's

I dont think cold crashing has anything to do with proteins like cold and hot break material but more towards making the yeast drop to the bottom.

Sounds like I will be bottling cold then! In that case...... Have any of you tried the sugar calculators for bottling cold? I really want this beer to be carbonated correctly, and im not really sure weather i trust using the cold calculator converters... Im sure they are accurate though.

I estimate the brew would be about 35-40F when I bottle.
Anyone think I would be out of line with 3/4 cup corn sugar?
This beer is desired to have lots of carbonation.

I always calculate the priming sugar according to the temperature at fermentation, not the cold crashing temperature. It's not like CO2 magically reappears in solution after it has escaped out of the airlock.

I do believe your beer would freeze. You can leave it next to a cold open window with a blanket or hoody containing the air around your carboy. I have heard cold crashing times lasting anywhere from 3-14 days. more common is 3-7 though. (i think) I just did 4 and hardly noticed the results

Back