How do they make hopped extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandsomePete

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm relatively new to homebrewing and I was wondering how companies (such as Coopers) make the extract kits, particularly the hopped versions?

just like all grain brewers make beer, but with a higher concentration of grain, They mash the grain to convert starch to sugar, and start boiling the sugar water, then they hop in in the boil just like we hop beers during boiling, then they continue to boil it down until it carmalizes into a thick syrup.....

Extract is just wort that someone else mashed, then condensed into syrup or powder.

If it's hopped extract, someone also went to the trouble of boiling it with hops for you before condensing it, so all you have left to do is mix it with water and ferment it and as long as your temps are OK you'll probably have a drinkable beer. But that takes too much of the fun out of brewing for me :)

This goes into more detail then the overviews Bernie and I gave you, it is from John Palmer's book how to brew.

Malting is the process in which barley is soaked and drained to initiate the germination of the plant from the seed. When the seed germinates, it activates enzymes which start converting its starch reserves and proteins into sugars and amino acids that the growing plant can use. The purpose of malting a grain is to release these enzymes for use by the brewer. Once the seeds start to sprout, the grain is dried in a kiln to stop the enzymes until the brewer is ready to use the grain.

The brewer crushes the malted barley and soaks it in hot water to reactivate and accelerate the enzyme activity, converting the barley's starch reserves into sugars in a short period of time. The resulting sugar is boiled with hops and fermented by the yeast to make beer.

When making malt extract, the sugar solution is drawn off, pasteurized, and run into vacuum chambers for dehydration. By boiling off the water under a partial vacuum, the wort sugars are not caramelized by the heat of full boiling and a lighter tasting extract is produced. To make a hopped extract, Iso-Alpha Acid extracts of hops are added along with hop oils to give a complete hop character to the final wort extract. These hop extracts are added at the end of the process to prevent loss during dehydration. Malt extract takes a lot of the work out of brewing.

Malt extract is sold in both liquid (syrup) and powdered forms. The syrups are approximately 20 percent water, so 4 pounds of Dry Malt Extract (DME) is roughly equal to 5 pounds of Liquid Malt Extract (LME). DME is produced by heating the liquid extract and spraying it from an atomizer in a heated chamber. Strong air currents keep the droplets suspended until they dry and settle to the floor. DME is identical to LME except for the additional dehydration and lack of hopping. DME is not hopped because hop compounds would be lost during the final dehydration.

If you haven't read the book, you really should. It's free online, here; http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Wow. Thanks for the quick responses.

I was wondering though, if the hops are boiled and then the wort is condensed further (thus boiled to remove the liquid), doesn't that affect the bitterness and taste because it?

Back