Anyone ever had a lag time longer than 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
So I made an IPA on 7/18/09. Used WLP001 Cali Ale Yeast. Made a starter on 7/16/09. I didnt notice any activity at all in my starter which I usually do even if its subtle. OK so I figured I just missed any signs this time around and went ahead and brewed with 75% efficiency and pitched. Well almost 48 hours later I have no signs whatsoever of fermentation. Airlock isnt bubbling, no krausen, and the temperature inside my glass carboy is 66 degrees still. I bought some yeast energizer but I know thats used for stuck ferms. So Im thinking if I still dont have fermentation for another 24 hours or so I will add some energizer or pitch a new batch of yeast. Any suggestions?

So I made an IPA on 7/18/09. Used WLP001 Cali Ale Yeast. Made a starter on 7/16/09. I didnt notice any activity at all in my starter which I usually do even if its subtle. OK so I figured I just missed any signs this time around and went ahead and brewed with 75% efficiency and pitched. Well almost 48 hours later I have no signs whatsoever of fermentation. Airlock isnt bubbling, no krausen, and the temperature inside my glass carboy is 66 degrees still. I bought some yeast energizer but I know thats used for stuck ferms. So Im thinking if I still dont have fermentation for another 24 hours or so I will add some energizer or pitch a new batch of yeast. Any suggestions?

Have you taken a gravity reading?

I know the rule is that it can take up to 72 hours. I have never had it take half that to start. Since you made a starter, and that wasn't showing good signs....

you may have dead yeast. If you have more yeast,I'd either pitch it, or at least get it ready for tomorrow.

The fact that you took another grav reading, nd it is same as brew day adds morefuel to the fire IMHO.

Did you see any sediment in the starter? Since I just cover my starters with foil, I hardly ever seem to have much krausen happen. But I check yeast viability of the starter by making sure there's more yeast sediment in the bottom then what started off in the liquid yeast.

Aeration is the only other component (aside from yeast count and temperature) that I've noticed effects the time fermentation takes off. You can always pick up another vial of this yeast for safe measure.

Thats what I was thinkin too. Its just weird b/c I did see a good bit of sediment. I cover my starters with foil also and still get a little krausen usually. My aeration technique is the simple vigorous shake preceded by a 3' wort waterfall from keggle to carboy and Ive never had a problem.

My aeration technique is the simple vigorous shake preceded by a 3' wort waterfall from keggle to carboy and Ive never had a problem.

I can't really speak from experience: I actually started using an O2 tank right as I also got into AG. So I don't know if AG needs more aerating then extract....the main thing I did notice about it vs vigorous mixing I did before: my ferments did seem to have much shorter lag times. Now that I stay pretty consistant with starters and O2, my ferments usually take off within 3 hours. But if you've done a few AG brews with your method of aerating, then maybe something with yeast viability....if you're willing to pay the extra for another vial of yeast, there's not much harm re-pitching if fermentation doesn't start soon.

Back