How many bottles do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I at some point will be making a keezer, and a fermentation chamber out of a chest freezer, but for now I don't really have the room for them, so I obviously bottle.

I was wondering, for those of you out there who bottle, what do you have your collection up to?

I have a little over 175 bottles, mostly New Belgium and Sam Adams but here are some Gordon Beirsch and oddballs in there too. I also have 3 growlers (mainly for making starters, but I do take one down to the brewpub now and again to have it filled.)

No matter how many you have on hand, it will always be short 15 or 20 for that next batch and as soon as you start kegging, it will always be 1 too many (unless you compete and then it waill always be the wrong kind).

I've never counted before, but a doing a quick estimation, I'd say I have around 200 give or take. Mine are a large mix of a bunch of different types. My most recent score was 2 boxes full of flip tops of various sizes off of CL.

Does anyone know of a good source for cobalt blue 1000ml swingtops?

I was thinking of giving some Apfelwein to a few people for Christmas, and these bottles look impressive.

300+ - 12oz
30 - 32oz flip tops (I use these for a gallon or two that I will drink a little younger than my other bottles).
12 - bombers

two trash cans collecting bottles at local bars

I am considering converting my home office into a bottling and conditioning room. The main plumbing in the home travels on the inside wall of that room. :ban:

I have very few long-necks sitting around--only enough for when I think a brew is worth entering into a comp. Mainly, I have about four dozen Grolsch and Fisher Ale bottles and a number of other odd-shaped bottles siting around at any given time.

I used to have nearly ten cases of long-neck bottles before I began to keg my brews, but it took up so much space in the garage...

Working in food and beverage, I can accumulate bottles rather quickly, so having them on-hand is not all too necessary.

Added: I highly suggest to anyone who brews to a pick-up a part-time job at a nearby restaurant/bar. Besides the ease of accumulating bottles, there are the contacts with the local soda distributors (co2 tanks, regulators, co2 manifolds, SS ice chests (great for swamp coolers/heaters (if you're brewing a Saison). I'd say that nearly one third of my brewing supplies have been gathered in the food and beverage industry. Besides, you'll make some extra cash to buy ingredients! The possibilities are endless.

Be selective. Find a place that still uses pre-mix soda kegs. They're still out there. The deposit on the kegs for the restaurants are usually only $5. What a steal!

Does anyone know of a good source for cobalt blue 1000ml swingtops?

I have 12 of them that I use for apfelwein. I got them from Olde Burnside Brewing, I had to drink the beer that came in them. I know some of the online retailers sell them but they're usually kinda expensive. I got mine filled with beer for close to same price as the new empty ones online.

I just started brewing but I've been saving my bottles for about 6 months, I'd say I have around 150-200 and combined with the girlfriend around 250. Mostly Sierra Nevada or Cut Throats.

I dislike the Sierra Nevada bottles, they make good beer, but I can't fit as many of those fat bottles into my milk crates for stacking. I keep em for a while if I need'em in a pinch, but I usually end up chucking them after a while.

About 200 longnecks and 30 bombers. I collect a six pack and two bombers a week on average.

I have about 100, mostly Sam Adams, but a good number from Michelob (I have a thing for Shock Top), Saranac, and Flying Dog. Still collecting. My goal is 200-250.

About 25 cases and growing. Mostly 12oz, but I also have complete cases of 11.2oz, 22oz, grolsch, 17oz fliptops, and 750ml belgians. Thank god the place is a bachelor pad.

I've only been doing this since January, but I've got 32+ Grolsch, for which I just ordered more gaskets. I'll be using them for a while :rockin: Plus about 100 assorted brown bottles. My friends mean well, but most only contribute screw-tops (in spite of previous counsel to the contrary), which promptly go to the recycling bin once they leave.

I've got about 3 cases (36) of 22 oz bombers, 1 case of 22 oz flip tops, 2 24 oz Red Strip bottles, and about 12 12 oz bottles. Of course my first batch is coming out of primary and into bottles on Friday. Going to see how the 22 0z bombers do vs the flip tops to decide what to get more of for the 2nd batch which will be brewed on Sat.

I've got rought 120 right now. I need at least another case in the next few weeks (red wheat in he secondary now) though so I'll be hitting up my friends.

12oz-500 and some change...
16oz-250
22oz-48

I had close to 800 12oz bottles but gave a boat load to my buddy. I and a Fireman and a neighboring dept held a beer tasting from local breweries as a fund raiser and i aquired a boat load of bottles... that was alot of label cleaning... But FREE is FREE!!!!!!!!!!:ban:

No where near enough bottles. Washed 60 to fill from kegs and that put a huge dent in my inventory... maybe more than half gone.

I've 20 kegs though. :ban::ban::ban::ban:

just sold 264 bottles on craigslist to a nice guy getting into the hobby. saved 5 cases for myself, and also have about 80 grolsch bottles.

264 bottles is a large section of a garage floor....

I have about 3 or 4 cases of 12 oz bottles. That's plenty for me. I try to mostly bottle 22 ozers, which I'm down to under 1 case of, which means I'm giving out more than I'm receiving dangit (just need more brewer friends who brew as much as me). But I'm sticking to kegging as my primary source (11 kegs and I need two more).

I was just given five - 1 gallon growlers. they are twist off's so I am going to my lhbs to see if I can fit them w/ rubber stoppers.

I have 5 cases of bombers, 2 of which are ready to be filled again. Also have 4 cases or so of the 12 oz. bottles I collect from friends who want to take some homebrew home with em.

I have enough bottles to hold about 20 gallons. I always bottle at least 3-12oz 6 packs and one of those gets stashed away for a control sample.
I've discovered that I don't much care for the flip top bottles. I've also discovered that I like plastic bottles a lot. I use just about any type of non-cola pop bottles. The sprite bottles are great. They don't dent like the brown pet bottles.

The constant washing of bottles has proven to be the biggest pita in the whole beer making process but, I'm beginning to develop a pretty good system.

I've got around 15-16 cases of bottles. all 12oz. there is a variety of brown and green bottles. I've also got 25 bombers, maybe 30. Ive got 6 mini kegs as well. Most of my stuff is empty, but Ive got 10 gallons just about ready to bottle.

My neighbor just gave me 10 Orval bottles. They are my favorite. I love the shape, weight...

Well I'm only fermenting my first batch so I bought 24 x 1 litre PET bottles.

Then I checked out back today and found 22 x 0.5 litre Weissbier bottles that have built up over a few months waiting for me to bring them to the recycling centre.

I think I will use a combination of the Weissbier and PET bottles on my first batch. No point opening a 1 litre bottle every time I'm tempted to check the beer. The bottles weren't rinsed so some of them smell like fart gas. I've filled them all with water but will do a proper clean/sanitise before bottling.

probably 150-200 bottles. I know I have at least enough for three batches at a time to be bottled. I had to turn down left over bottles people were saving for me.

I don't see the bottling process as being too hard. It's just the cleaning process that takes a little elbow grease. I'd love to eventually keg, but don't have the money right now to plop down to get a setup going.

Back