Propane Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awiens

Reaction score
I use a propane burner to boil, and currently I do so in the garage or patio room. However, it would be ideal if I could do it in the basement where the rest of my set up is. I am no science expert, so I apologize if this sounds ignorant - what is the issue with using propane inside, and is there anyone to eliminate these issues (having airflow come in from the outside, opening windows, etc.)? Thanks.

Carbon monoxide poisoning happens fast if you use a propane burner in an enclosed space. There was a post on there somewhere where even when used right next to an open door in a basement, the carbon monoxide alarm went off in a matter of minutes.

If you want to do things inside, electric seems to be the way to go, or invest in a huge hood that can move plenty of air. I think some people run their systems off natural gas but then your issue would be setting your house up for that.

I did some additional research. Not worth it! Homebrew is no good if you're dead. Thanks all!

I boil with propane in my basement but I have a window behind my burner and a door next to it. I open them both up and use a fan to draw out the door. Without the fan, it's an issue. With it, I can't smell a thing and have had no issues. I'm going to put a carbon monoxide detector next to it to be safe but I should be ok - hopefully.

I boil with propane in my basement but I have a window behind my burner and a door next to it. I open them both up and use a fan to draw out the door. Without the fan, it's an issue. With it, I can't smell a thing and have had no issues. I'm going to put a carbon monoxide detector next to it to be safe but I should be ok - hopefully.

I'd be worried about the possibility of a propane leak starting a fire, but I might be overly jumpy about that because of a close call with my furnace a couple of years ago. What about all the moisture from the boiloff? Mold could be a concern.

For the carbon monoxide - I've seen a diy build where the person put in a oven head like in a restraunt (or a chemlab). This exhausts the CO and CO2. I think this guy had a gas burner stove, not a pot boiler like most here use. His build is pictured somewhere here on HBT

It might help with a propane leak because if there was one, it would draw out a lot of CFpM and probably prevent enough density for a fire - but I don't know.

So CO/CO2 poisoning, and a fire from a leak, and lastly a fire from "gee that was stupid putting x to close to the burner"

When I have the window and door open with the fan on I get a draft through the window and out the door. My pot is only around 2 ft away from the ceiling as I have very low ceilings (6ft 1in) and I boil on top of a countertop. I have never noticed any water build up or mold. I plan on making a permanent system in this spot and installing a hood as well as running a natural gas line but for now, it works and I am able to make beer. I know its not the best but it does allow me to brew indoors when its cold (I live in Lake Tahoe) and I am able to keep everything in one spot and close to each other. I am going to put a carbon monoxide detector though as I do have 2 kids and a wife and as others have said, brewing beer is not worth dying over - usually.

Latest posts

Back