Starter issue...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You know, you try to do everything right. Take your time and all, but sometimes things still go a little wrong..I was making a starter for a ten gallon batch I'm doing in a few days. I boiled,cooled and dumped the wort in the jug I'm using.. I grabbed the vial white labs, that I took out of the fridge a couple hours earlier, Shook it, gently opened the cap. It started to foam up so I closed it. When I tried again it foamed up again, so I quickly poured the contents in the jug and tossed the vial in the sink. When I looked at the vial I noticed the yeast clump at the bottom of the vial..WTF! I knew I couldn't pitch it now.

My question is should I buy more yeast or do you think there's enough?

I'd buy another vial. Those white labs vials need to be shaken till all the side are not stuck with yeast.

Just make believe you are using a Shake Weight next time, but watch it when you open the vial. :D

Yeah Ed, no I know.. I really shook it hard..I guess not enough. I could see if I had just taken it out of the fridge, but I had it in room temp for a couple of hours. I figured I'd need another one, I have to wait until tomorrow to pick one up..Thanks man...

Back