Using a plasma cutter for cutting top of Sanke keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I have my 3 sanke kegs and have marked the circle where I want the tops to be cut out. Now I am looking for someone with a plasma cutter to cut the holes.

What specific skills should I be looking for besides the ability to follow a curved line? Should the keg be filled with water before cutting to avoid bits of ss metal attaching to the inside of the keg?

David

just so you are aware before you start cutting- a grinder with an easy-to-make jig leaves a much nicer circle, cleaner edges, and no rusty slag stuck to the inside of your keg. you might want to consider it. ive seen some terrible looking plasma cuts and am glad i tried the grinder first when i did mine. i certainly couldnt make them look as nice as they ended up if i had went with plasma.

I did mine free hand & it came out perfect. I tried the jig, but it was too cumbersome. Slow & steady wins the race.

-d

Back