NB Chocolate Stout kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me, I'd secondary with the chocolate extract. I haven't brewed this, so I don't know what this extract is: if it's a liquid chocolate or a powder, I'd just rack on top. If it's thick and looks like it might not disolve well, I'd assume it would be OK to dissolve it in some water and heat it to sanitize before pitching into secondary.

It's "Brewers Best Chocolate Nat/Art Fruit Flavoring (chocolate)" Looks very thin, not thick at all.

Thanks,

I recently brewed this kit, and I added it when I racked to the keg. You get more of the chocolate in the aroma than in the taste, but I like how it came out. If you've never brewed with lactose before, you should also keep in mind that your final gravity is going to be a bit high (about 1.025 iirc)

Thanks for the replies. Northen Brewer responded to an email I sent and said the same thing you guys are saying... add directly to the keg and flavor as desired. I added a lb of pale DME and upped the hops by .5oz and ended with a OG of 1.078. Hopefully the Safale 05 can handle that.

Latest posts

Back