Left over recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmelt11

Reaction score
Hey all. I haven't posted much but do a lot of reading on this board and know that I'll usually get the best responses from here. I was thinking of doing an all grain batch with the left over grains I had from previous batches. By the time I brew this batch it will be my 7th all grain batch and my 9th over all. This is what I will have left over.
7 lbs 2-row
2.5 lbs 6 row
1 lbs golden naked oats
1.5 lbs honey malt

I may use some of the honey malt in another beer, but what I'm wondering is if that is too much oats and too much honey malt (have read 4-15%is typical). If so usually what is a good amount of each. I brew 5.5 gallon batches. I also have assorted hops and some us-05, wlp001, and notingham yeast that I can use. Also will it be ok to use both the 6 row and 2 row in the same recipe? Any suggestions on hops either? Thanks

the oats are fine, but thats too much honey malt for one recipe. 0.5lb should be good. you'll be fine with any of those yeasts, just pick one out of a hat if you gotta. what hops you got and what style do you want this?

I was thinking along the lines of a pale ale for style although any suggestions I'll be open to. Of the top of my head I know I have some perle, magnum, cascade whole and pellet, styrian goldings, northern brewer, tettnanger, willamette. At least that's all I can think of.

pale ale would be perfect with what you have. I think the oat will add something nice and unique to it (just did it in an ESB), but its not the norm, so you can leave them out if you want. with a few extra malts you can go in a few directions if you change your mind (i.e RB & choc malts and you have an oatmeal stout)

personally, the only hop I'd stay away from in this is the goldings, but it'd work for an english style pale if you like it. the most common examples would be cascade and/or willy for an american pale ale, northern brewer and/or willy for an ESB. you have a lot of other options though. how hoppy do you want it?

Back