When brewing darker styles with extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve973

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I've brewed an extract beer, but I will be brewing one while a high-gravity all grain ferments and ages for a little while. When you guys brew darker extract styles, do you prefer to use darker malt extracts, or do you prefer to use the lightest extract that you can find and darken it with some cracked grains?

vtfan99 said:
I always use the lightest extract I can find and then darken with specialty grains. I like the idea that I can control as much color as possible.

I agree. That is what I have done for all of my dark beers. (Maybe one of these days when I get the money to buy some more equip I will venture out into the world of AG).

sudsmonkey said:
Last stout I made had 3/4 light extract, 1/4 dark . So black that light cannot escape it. No steeping, just stirred it in.
So I assume it's named Black Hole Ale?

So, what's considered the lightest extract nowadays? Back when I brewed extracts, like 6 years ago, the guys that I knew who homebrewed preferred Alexander's Sun Country light malt extract.

Latest posts

Back