Bottling bucket tweaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I have an ale pail bottling bucket that I have used for 3 - 4 batches. I wanted to get rid of that junky valve that comes with the bucket. You know, the orange/red valve that works horribly. I was looking for something a little more stable. Maybe something that doesn't clog or actually can drain all of the fluid from the bucket to make it easier for me.

I feel like every time I bottle there is a problem with this. Iether the leaf hops get all jammed up in the bucket or I have to tilt it forward to try and get everything out.

I remember seeing on here a nice metal valve someone created with a nice lever and what not. Anyone think they can give me a list of items I can buy to put it all together??

No valve will drain ALL the beer out as is....even the ball valves we add to our kettles and mash tuns leave stuff behind. But we minimize it as best we can by using a dip tube, like the one I show in my bottling thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

I get an average of 52 beers out of my standard orange handled bucket valve by using a long primary which compresses the yeast cake and allows more beer to come out of primary into the bucket AND my dip tube. I leave about 4 ounces behind.

I do agree about having some sort of hop filter in it, but I've found that that seems to clog worse then a properly laid out dip tube with only the tiniest gap for the beer to flow through. Again I have found that long primary EVEN with dryhopping in primary tends to reduce the amount of hop goop carried over, though if I chose to rack to a secondary even as an intermediate step, that would further leave behind the hops, BUT would run the risk of oxydizing the beer....so it's a balance.

But really, the dip tube has worked successfully for me and other brewers for years. Even with the plastic valve....

Back