What Shanks???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J8D

Reaction score
Do I have to get SS shanks with SS faucets? What is the down side of using chrome shanks with SS faucets? Thanks!!!

No, you don't "need" to have SS shanks. The chrome plated shanks are stripped of the chrome over time. They will still work but can give off flavors.

No real idea who long... its basically an erosion process so it'd take a while, years I would guess. I found a post a few weeks ago & the pics showed that every where in contact with beer was stripped of chrome leaving the brass underneath exposed. Not a big problem really. Personally, I'd get the SS. I see my kegerator (or the parts that make it a kegerator) as a one time investment. Stainless & commercial grade everything.

Considering the small difference in cost, SS gives you a lot more flexibility. You can push soda, cider, or wine safely through them as well. Can't do that with chrome.

Regarding the erosion, you are slowly dissolving chromium into your beer and you. After that is gone, brass is next on the menu. Brass typically contains copper, zinc and up to 2% lead.

Back