AHS Ordinary Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schultzy

Reaction score
I'm brewing the Austin Homebrew Supply Ordinary Bitter today. It comes with a bag of Maltodextrin but doesn't reference it anywhere in the instructions. I do a partial boil since I don't have a big enough brew pot. When should I add it? I'm thinking I should do it at the beginning of the boil, but it probably doesn't make all that much difference anyways.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Since you are doing a partial boil, I'd add it at the end of the boil.

I've got the mini-mash kit sitting in the brewery. It uses Marris Otter in the mash, so no MD. All Fuggles, I think I'll like it.

I usually do late extract addition, so I guess it doesn't matter if it's at the beginning or end. Especially since it dissolves easily.

I brewed this two weeks ago. Haven't had much experience with bitters so I thought I'd give it a try. OG was 1.038. FG came out at 1.018 which is higher than the 1.01 that the recipe predicts. I used Danstar Windsor yeast and after some reading it seems that this is a common issue with it. So instead of 3.4% ABV as per the recipe we're looking at 2.6%. Oh well. Taste wise it's good - and it certainly goes down easy. So I think I'll enjoy this one nonetheless. It may even be enjoyed by my wife who is strictly a Coors Light drinker.

Back