Camping stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahilly

Reaction score
The wife wants me out of her kitchen. I have a 12,000 BTU camping stove in the garage. Will that work for a 5 gal. boil (or 3 gal. boil with 2 gal. top off)? I looked up some turkey fryers and those are rated at around 50K to 60K BTU's. So I'm thinking the camping stove might not do the job. Is anyone out there having any success with their camping stove?

Mynew camp stove is 10,000 BTU and I can tell you now, there is no way Id get a boil going on that thing, not even 3 gallons. Remember, 12000 BTU isnt making to your kettle, there is A LOT of wasted heat with propane burners.

I only use my 10,000 BTU burner for keeping the HLT hot. I pre-heat the water with a turkey burner.

I use a propane camp stove when I brew indoors. It works much better for 3 gallon boils than my electric stove. But, I wouldn't even consider using it for 5 gallon boils unless that was my only option.

If the kitchen was not an option for me, I'd spring for the turkey fryer and do full boils.

I use a propane camp stove when I brew indoors. It works much better for 3 gallon boils than my electric stove. But, I wouldn't even consider using it for 5 gallon boils unless that was my only option.

If the kitchen was not an option for me, I'd spring for the turkey fryer and do full boils.

Is carbon monoxide a concern with using a propane camp stove indoors? I have a coleman stove, but I figured I would have to use it outside.

I used it in the garage with the door open to steep the grain, then moved inside to the electric stove because of some technical difficulties, but I think it had a chance of boiling with 1 burner (11,000 BTUs). I would think that the 2 burners side by side would be more than enough.

Were you using 1 or 2 burners and do you know how many BTUs?

I was thinking about using my Coleman camp stove as a Bunsen burner to do my yeast starters directly in the flask so I don't have to pot->flask transfers since I have an electric stove.

Then invest in a turkey fryer for the big boils.

If you are going to boil on it? Id say 55,000 BTU. That will provide decent power to reach a boil and maintain it. It will also only burn about 2.5 lbs of propane per hour WIDE OPEN, which it wont be after you reach a boil.

Is carbon monoxide a concern with using a propane camp stove indoors? I have a coleman stove, but I figured I would have to use it outside.

I used it in the garage with the door open to steep the grain, then moved inside to the electric stove because of some technical difficulties, but I think it had a chance of boiling with 1 burner (11,000 BTUs). I would think that the 2 burners side by side would be more than enough.

Were you using 1 or 2 burners and do you know how many BTUs?

Carbon monoxide can be a real concern. I keep the flame tuned to where it is all blue with no yellow tips on the flame. I also open the outside door and run the vent fan. If used properly, It shouldn't be any more dangerous than a "real" gas stove.

I don't know what the BTU's are. It's hotter than my electric stove but not as hot as my turkey cooker.

I only use one burner. If I use both burners with my 20 quart pot, I loose too much heat around the sides and just end up heating the room and wasting gas. My 40 quart pot will work but I've never used it on that stove. For full boils I use my turkey cooker.

Back