American Wheat Beer Gumballhead inspired WPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grains ordered today. What's the consensus on hop type? I have a few ounces of pellets and whole in Amarillo, what's everyone else using? I see the OP has whole but wasn't sure what might have changed..

i just tapped my first keg of this recipe. it is fantastic. hops are perfect for the style. i'll no doubt experiment, but i can always fall back to the original.

Check out the first post.... I used 6 lbs wheat malt and 5 lbs 2 row. It was our first all grain and still one of the best batches we've made. Thanks for reminding me that I need to make it again.

That's exactly what I used and it worked very well. Next time I make it I'll use wyeast 1968 harvested from a batch of zombie dust I have going now.

Just mashed in but on the advice of my LHB guy he added 1lb of Rice hulls and I forgot to take that into account in my 1.33qt/lb and mashed in with 4 gal instead of 4.5. Its a little thick and I also was shooting for 154 to keep some of the body and sweetness in the beer but after 15 min temp reads 152 in the center and 155 on the outer edges. Stirred to distribute heat and I'll check again in 30min. This may end up a little sweeter than expected, more to come. I'm gonna do a 1.5 gal mashout and 4 gal sparge to really rinse those grains.

EDIT: At 30 min temp reads 152 which is the target mash in temp for the original recipe.

brewed this up last night (extract version). Can't wait to dryhop, bottle and drink. OG came in right at 1.056. I used the OP's recipe and just tweaked the following:
OP - 5lbs wheat DME, Me - 6lbs wheat LME (65% wheat, 35% pale - Millard Malts)
I also added 1/2lb corn sugar as a late addition to hit the OP's OG, which I overshot just barely (OP - 1.054, Me - 1.056)

I followed the op's recipe and bottled mine a couple weeks ago. Got some of the real stuff from a buddy and did a taste test. On taste alone its close enough that blind you couldn't tell a difference, and thats from multiple people tasting both. The real one visually was a little lighter in color and clearer but I personally don't think a clear beer makes the beer taste does and Thia is pretty spot on. Ill b brewing it again.

Just sampled this a few days ago. Beer was fully carbed after only 5 days in bottle. The Amarillo/Simcoe combo is awesome and I expect this beer to get much better in the next week or so. Can't wait :cross:

WPA.jpg

If doing extract, does steeping the 2 row and wheat add anything? I was planning to use 6lbs wheat DME. And 1lb Cara 20.

But never have steeped 2 row....

Back