mashed in at 9:00

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I was brewing today. I'll be working OT instead. I'll have some OT money to buy a carboy and auto-siphon though!!:ban:

Good luck on your brewing today!!

--Aaron

Heck, I wish I got OT. I'm on salary so I don't get it. Actually, I'm on call today, so I hope I don't get disturbed!

How full is your mash/Lauter tun? Sounds like you will have a fun day with lots of sparging and boiling. :mug:
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Well, I had the worst stuck sparge I've ever seen in my life. A half pound of rice hulls and it still wouldn't run. Had to use the kitchen colander.

So, my efficiency sucked...I ended up with only 1.090 :(

1090 sounds reasonable? I mashed in at 9 and just got finished with my second attempt at a Weihenstephan-like hefe. Had plenty of temperature issues and other things going on in the background, but wound up with 78% efficiency which is unheard of for me and wheat. However, I've also only got 4g of wort due to not having done my homework with my new keggle, but I'm RDWHAHB'ing.

I got about 4 hours sleep last night, and brewed today. I wish I had waited till tomorrow.

I mash on the stove top so I can adjust the mash temp easily. (Add cold water or apply gentle heat as necessary). As usual, I needed to apply some heat, but I forgot to turn the heat off:eek: I found this out 30 minutes later when I went to check the temp.
Then the rubber bung came out of mny lauter tun.:mad: (fortunately before I had added the mash)
For some reason, the sparge went much faster than normal. It usually takes me 90 mins, but I dozed off and woke up to find an extra 1/2 gallon in the kettle after only 50 minutes.:confused:
Finally, I racked 6.5 gal of Iodophor into a 6 gal bucket:D and now have a beautifully sanitized kitchen floor.

I lost some efficiency through the mash/sparge problems, but not too bad.

Hope it turns out OK

-a.

ajf said:
Finally, I racked 6.5 gal of Iodophor into a 6 gal bucket:D and now have a beautifully sanitized kitchen floor.

rolf.gif

Classic. ;)

ajf said:
I mash on the stove top so I can adjust the mash temp easily. (Add cold water or apply gentle heat as necessary). As usual, I needed to apply some heat, but I forgot to turn the heat off:eek:

Reminds me of my first all grain attempt - I tried mashing on the stove top and turned it up too high. Scorched the mash, so my wheat beer turned into a smoked wheat. Yuck.

Baron von BeeGee said:
1090 sounds reasonable? I mashed in at 9 and just got finished with my second attempt at a Weihenstephan-like hefe. Had plenty of temperature issues and other things going on in the background, but wound up with 78% efficiency which is unheard of for me and wheat. However, I've also only got 4g of wort due to not having done my homework with my new keggle, but I'm RDWHAHB'ing.

1.090 is good, but I was shooting for 1.099. Oh well, guess I'll forget about it and drink some homebrew.

The beer is now sitting happily in my basement's junk room....check out all the trub - this was taken about 1 hr after I racked it to the carboy:

beer2.JPG

It's settled out quite a bit more since then, but I thought this was a cool pic.

That's nuts! I have mine in a bucket because I'm trying the 'skimming the kraeusen' technique (actually, I only have a bucket primary so they're always in buckets, but anyways...) and hence can't see the action. However, it had started forming kraeusen in less than 8hrs and is going pretty strong this morning.

david_42 said:
How can you be jealous of a beer tower without any beer attached?

Looks kind of sad not sitting on a bar, doesn't it?

Also notice the dart board sitting behind it....one of these days I'll get my bar done :(

alemonkey said:
Well, I had the worst stuck sparge I've ever seen in my life. A half pound of rice hulls and it still wouldn't run. Had to use the kitchen colander.

So, my efficiency sucked...I ended up with only 1.090 :(

Ok, so I'm still working on my All Grain setup... hope I'm not outta line here... I've been reading a LOT lately... Designing Great Beers, Radical Brewing, Farmhouse Ales, Wild Brews, Brew Like a Monk etc... the numbers I've been finding for rice hulls are around 1 lb per 5 lbs of adjunct grains... the recipe in the link had 5 lbs rye and you said you added more to this batch, no? So I would think 1 to 1.5 lbs of rice hulls would be about right, according to the experts anyway... and isn't Rye even harder to sparge than wheat??? (Ok, so the books aren't in front of me)

Anyway, I'd like everyone's thoughts on this... like I said, I'm still learning...

mikey
Who is trying to learn how to Design Radical Farmhouse Beers to Brew Like a Wild Monk
;)

I'd never done rye before, but I've done wheat beers with a much higher percentage of wheat. I didn't have a problem with the wheat at all. So I think you are right about rye being harder to sparge.

I think next time I'm going to go with about 2 pounds of rice hulls on this recipe.

BTW, it smells awesome :ban:

Back