Drank a Bud ughhhh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanman250

Reaction score
I have been drinking my own beer over the past few weeks and decided to open one of the store bought buds I used to enjoy. It tasted like that smell at the funeral home. I didn't think my beer was that much better but it is and I'm new at this so ether I'm great at making beer or there very bad at making beer. I think I'll just wait for my next batch to be ready before drinking any more beer.

vanman250

I am with you Vanman-I used to drink a lot of Mudlight when I was pulling a long session with my brother in his barn...After brewing my beer, and drinking a couple batches, I have trouble drinking it, as it has no flavor or character. I do still drink commerical beers like Bass, Killians, Guinnes, Murphy's and Sam Adams, as well as some of the quasi local brews like Wachusett, but now I am into my homebrews and any of the more handcrafted specialty brews that can be found at good packages stores...

Welcome to the miracle of homebrewing. When I started doing it, the thing that I was most skeptical about was when I was told by a number of people that my very first batch would be the best beer I had ever tasted. I thought they were just messin' with me.

I was amazed when it turned out they were right. How can that be? I really don't know, but I'm sure going to enjoy the ride.

Commercial brews such as Bud have their place (just what that is in the case of Bud, I'm not exactly sure :)), but I don't think you are alone in your experience of going back to it after drinking your own beer. You will likely become a lot more discerning in your choices when you do buy commercial beer in the future.

Happy Brewing!

My first batch was swill! I got better at it. Living in the PNW makes for high standards.

the only thing bud is (was) good for was the bikini babes in the commercials back in the day...

I guess Coors light had the twins last year or whenever...

but not for drinking! I just tried a "bud select" that they're advertising as if it were special, but it's just water too...

Haven't brewed in a couple of months. Brewday is tomorrow. No particular recipe, just black and strong !
Bought a twelve pack of Miller the other night. I appreciate the fact that there's no real flavor to get in the way of my alcohol enjoyment, which, after a couple of shots of tequila, seems abundant . They really do have a fine product. It's consistently weak and tasteless. That takes precision control at all levels of the manufacturing process.
Guess I'm just jealous.:rolleyes:

Confession time: I actually like Miller Lite. I can't explain why, but I do. Whatever they did when they invented that stuff, they hit on something.

Regarding Bud-- I don't want to start a big argument if there are any AB lovers out there,-- but I'll tell you, I've consumed many, many American canoe beers in my life (Old Style, Special Export,High Life, Pabst, Schlitz, Stroh's, you name it) and I can't for the life of me figure out how they sell so much Bud and even worse Bud Light. No taste, no color, high price... hmmm, yeah, let's go out and buy gallons of the stuff, right?

I went to a party some time ago and one of my friend bought a keg of some BUD LIGHTon draft, I poured some took a drink and poured it out, I ended up drinking Diet Pepsi..

Also last night I was working on my Axle swap for my XJ and my neighbor came over and brought some COORS LIGHT... UGGGGGG

My beer of choice among the BMC beers is Miller Lite and then Canadian. I drink BMC beers from time to time and find nothing wrong with them if you don't expect too much in the way of flavor.

I like Coors just becase it is from Colorado (my favorite place). otherwise it has very few redeeming qualities.

since we're making confessions here. i like poor mans champagne!! thats right, miller high life!!!! and if theres nothing else around, i'll drink a 40 of mickeys or some icehouse. but as far as bud goes, FORGET IT!!!!!!

Being from Colorado, Coors was the first beer I tried. To this day, when it is really hot outside, I very much enjoy an ice cold Coors. I wouldn't waste my time trying to clone one or anything but it is a good thirst quencher IMHO. As far as Bud goes- I've never been able to drink the stuff. There must be something about it though because millions of people love it.

I had the same experience after my first batch of home brew. All the major American beers weren't the same any more. Even Coors tasted different to me. Now when I want to enjoy a good beer, it doesnt come from a large brewery. As a matter of fact my favorite beer right now (other than my home brew) is Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing. It is a nice dark Brown ale that is malty smooth. Miles and miles away from Coors light.

Cheers,
Rich

david_42 said:
My first batch was swill! I got better at it. Living in the PNW makes for high standards.

Dave 42 your correct about the excellent beer in the PMW I travel to Oregon about 10 times a year and the first thing I do when I arrive is stop at the hotel lounge and have a Black Beaut porter, among the great beers they have to offer that's my favorite. I did a few tours of the wineries and they have some of the best wines in the world being produced out there.

vanman250

mmditter said:
Confession time: I actually like Miller Lite. I can't explain why, but I do. Whatever they did when they invented that stuff, they hit on something.

Regarding Bud-- I don't want to start a big argument if there are any AB lovers out there,-- but I'll tell you, I've consumed many, many American canoe beers in my life (Old Style, Special Export,High Life, Pabst, Schlitz, Stroh's, you name it) and I can't for the life of me figure out how they sell so much Bud and even worse Bud Light. No taste, no color, high price... hmmm, yeah, let's go out and buy gallons of the stuff, right?

I know this is late in the discussion, but I'm gonna have to agree with mmditter, Miller light is actually not that bad when I'm low on cash and my buddies wanna go out for the night...

Well, Im sorry folks, but I cannot, repeat, cannot deal with drinking BMC anymore, and if thats all thats available, I drink a diet coke.

Yesterday, I went to the New England Motorcycle Expo, and low and behold... they actually had a few make shift bars set up. They had wines, whiskeys, burbons, tequilas and beer. So, my wife wants one of her Kahlua drinks, and tosses me cash to get her one, and goes to the food line. So I walk up, and as I do, I see empty cases of Bud and Bud Lite beside the bar area. "Oh friggin great" I say to myself, but stay the course and move towards the front.

As I get to the front and its my turn, I read "Bud, Bud Lite, Michelob Lite and Imported" So I ask what imported they had, and he responds...get this..."Heineken and Sam Adams". Yup, Sam is listed as an import...LOL. Anyway, my day is made, as I will drink a Sam any day of the week with no problem.

Im lucky being in New England, as Sam Adams is everywhere. So, if Im stuck drinking commercial brands when Im out, as least I know I can have a Sam.

No offense meant to any BMC drinkers, but I just cant stand it anymore.

RichBrewer said:
As a matter of fact my favorite beer right now (other than my home brew) is Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing. It is a nice dark Brown ale that is malty smooth. Miles and miles away from Coors light.

I'll second that. I tried Moose Drool a couple of months ago in an airport bar...delicious!

Personally, I'm a hockey fan so when I get "the thirst" and my homebrew is still a few days out I pick up some Molson Cadadian. Although, they just merged with Coors, so Canadian/Coloradian...it's all the same.

Truble said:
After brewing my beer, and drinking a couple batches, I have trouble drinking it, as it has no flavor or character.

Man, that's right... what do you do after drinking "real" beer and someone offers you one of their store bought. How do you keep a straight face? :D

i'm still waiting on drinking my first of my Irish Red Ale (first ever brew)... but i am excited to see if it is as good as everyone says it's supposed to be. i saw one or two college kids reply to what they drink, and as a collegian myself (Hail Purdue!) i am fairly poor, as are most of my friends. when we want to either go to the bars, or stay in and party, it has to be the cheap stuff. I get pabst for myself at home, and whatever is cheapest at the bars. I'm not really out to the bars usually to enjoy beer, but to enjoy the night. so what i drink doesn't matter so much rather than what i drink allows me to enjoy myself and the company of others.

but honestly, i love PBR. since i've been legal (and a little before) i have only bought 30packs of pabst when we have a party. its not bad at all, although a little on the filling side. at least its not what my roommate usually gets (Beast Light, and Bud Select). ugh. at least he's getting into the homebrewing now that he's seen (and smelled) what i've been up to, and ordered a beer kit of Newcastle to brew in one of my buckets.

its really sad that so many millions of people drink this weak watery marketed piss-ale that's out there. i guess people are sheep, and rather than trying something that is a few dollars more (and a whole lot more fulfilling), they go with what they know tastes and looks like water and goes with that. gotta give it to mr busch and miller cos they are making a LOT of money from it.

tag

Hey man, I know what you mean, we get Keystone and only keystone for our parties, I'm in Alpha Epsilon Pi at OU. I'm so used to drinking Keystone on a regular basis that I don't even think about it anymore, its like water... Although OU is the #2 party school and we have a lot of great drink specials at bars, I usually start the night out with a couple of my favorites, Beck's Dark and Guiness, and sometimes a Boddingtons.

What pisses me off is that people love Bud Light down here, which we all know tastes like crap in comparison to Miller Light, which also tastes like crap but slightly less...

UNOmar said:
I'll second that. I tried Moose Drool a couple of months ago
yuk! you should get a girl freind instead of kiss'in moose:eek:
As for bud and other flavourless lager,it's rubbish! i like to have some taste in my beer.it's amazeing the rubbish that big brewerys will pass off as "THE beer to have"with big advertising.

sudsmonkey said:
They really do have a fine product. It's consistently weak and tasteless. That takes precision control at all levels of the manufacturing process.

You know... I never thought of it that way. You are absolutly right! We should write a complement letter to them praising them for a job well done:rolleyes:

I've been holding off for days on this confession, but my daily drinker is Old Milwaukee. For the price it's not bad, way better than Buttwipers, and it keeps the homebrew down in the cellar a little while longer while I get my stash up. Try it b4 you talk smack, it'll keep $$ in your pockets and brews in your basement!

WhatsOnTap said:
I've been holding off for days on this confession, but my daily drinker is Old Milwaukee. Try it b4 you talk smack.

I have tried it. I'm ready to talk smack.

We call it "Old Swillwaukee" where I come from.

-walker

Tony said:
Well, Im sorry folks, but I cannot, repeat, cannot deal with drinking BMC anymore, and if thats all thats available, I drink a diet coke.

Yesterday, I went to the New England Motorcycle Expo, and low and behold... they actually had a few make shift bars set up. They had wines, whiskeys, burbons, tequilas and beer. So, my wife wants one of her Kahlua drinks, and tosses me cash to get her one, and goes to the food line. So I walk up, and as I do, I see empty cases of Bud and Bud Lite beside the bar area. "Oh friggin great" I say to myself, but stay the course and move towards the front.

As I get to the front and its my turn, I read "Bud, Bud Lite, Michelob Lite and Imported" So I ask what imported they had, and he responds...get this..."Heineken and Sam Adams". Yup, Sam is listed as an import...LOL. Anyway, my day is made, as I will drink a Sam any day of the week with no problem.

Im lucky being in New England, as Sam Adams is everywhere. So, if Im stuck drinking commercial brands when Im out, as least I know I can have a Sam.

No offense meant to any BMC drinkers, but I just cant stand it anymore.

I was back around my home town in Idaho a while back and we ended up in a small town called Lava Hot Springs. We were in the bar and the only beer that looked good was Michelob Amber Bock. I had the bar tender pour me a pitcher as my friends got bud light and such. The bartender charged them 6 dollars for their pitcher and charged my 8 dollars for mine. I asked her why the increase in price and she told me that it was a import. I just about fell off the stool. I brought it to her attention that the tap handle said Michelob on it and still she would not budge. So I paid the price for I cannot drink light beers.:D

An old habit I kept from a life on the road with the US Fish and Wildlife Svc.. When I fill my three kegs I may never go back to the 'doggies!

anthrobe said:
I asked her why the increase in price and she told me that it was a import.

Holy cow.... that's rediculous.

I've gotten used to restaurants calling sierra nevada and the like "imports" in their menus (if it ain't B/M/C, it must be from some other country), but MICHELOB? Crikey...

-walker

The way I see it, at least I can smell and taste it - which is less than I can say about that seltzer water they call Bud Light ;) They never did an "I can't taste my beer" commercial about Swilldoggies LOL

That's true. One of my favorite ad campaigns was that "Bitter beer face" one by Keystone. Ummmm, bitter beer is good. Especially when it's bitter. Thankfully we never got keystone up here so it was easy to boycott. D!cks.

Cheyco said:
That's true. One of my favorite ad campaigns was that "Bitter beer face" one by Keystone. Ummmm, bitter beer is good. Especially when it's bitter. Thankfully we never got keystone up here so it was easy to boycott. D!cks.

"skunky beer face" should have been a more appropriate marketing catch phrase hu?

I will say this...PBR was a good cheap beer before the hipsters drove the price up, and Olympia is still a good beer to drink in the a.m. on the way to the beach. It's all about niches as I see it.

BeeGee said:
I will say this...PBR was a good cheap beer before the hipsters drove the price up, and Olympia is still a good beer to drink in the a.m. on the way to the beach. It's all about niches as I see it.

Well, obviously it's good in the AM, BG. What beer isn't?

Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!

i always like drinking Old Milwaukee when we boiled crawfish. #1 because it's usually 1,000 degrees outside when we boil crawfish, and your standing next to a 15 g pot full of boiling water #2 you can drink a dump truck load of it and still walk a straight line #3 it compliments the crawfish, corn, potatos, sausage, and mushrooms. #4 it's cheap when you have 10-20 people at the house waiting for the mudbugs to turn hell red!

Cheyco said:
One of my favorite ad campaigns was that "Bitter beer face" one by Keystone.

We drank this stuff like.... well, like water right after high school. It was cheap cheap cheap. We always called it "river beer" because we only drank it when we stayed weekends at my buddy's family's little cottage on the Little Auglaize river in Ohio. Eventually I kept calling it river beer because I was sure that's what it was made with.

-walker

As long as the confessions are a flowin'... several years ago I was working in Texas (oil, you know) and one of the beers I found I liked was <deep breath> Lonestar. I know, I was young, I needed the money and all that stuff, but I found that it tasted very similar to Molson Pilsener from back home.
I feel like the healing can start now.

While we are on the subject of confessions, I must admit to liking the occasional 12 pack of American Beer. That is the brand name, not the category. It is white with a red and blue bunting design around the top of the can, and most importantly it is "brewed with the bravery and courage that made America great" Of course there is little to no flavor, but when you shotgun it they're perfect for chugging.

Back