The Big Box of Yum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeDuffMan

Reaction score
So this is going to become an official thread.

TheMan sent me a wine cooler bag filled with some goodies last month, and he thought it would be a good idea to get this thing passed around. If you are lucky enough to get the Big Box of Yum, you are under no pressure to send this out at once, take your time with it if you want. Make sure to sign your name and HBT user name to the bag. I would like to keep it within the HBT community.
Once you are ready to send out your shipment, PM me and Ill get you an address on who to ship to, all within a two day travel time.
For those of you who are already on board, PM me your address so I can start figuring out a mapping.
The bag has two compartments, one for your locally sourced food item that is native to your area only, as well as another compartment for ice packs to keep it cool. The ice packs held up for two days on the last shipment, so try to keep this box within a two or three day shipping area. (Even with this stipulation, this box should be able to travel back and forth across the country in this fashion, going from a few states across, up or down at a time.)
To take it one step further, I ordered an additional Randall Jr to include in with the box. With the Randall Jr, it will be your choice on what to send to the next person, but it should include at least 1 brew of your choice along with whatever additives you want the recipient to try. It could be your favorite local stout with some local fruit, an IPA with some hops, a brown ale with sour patch kids, its really the user choice.
Once I get this shipment of the Randall in, I'll be shipping this off to get the ball rolling, feel free to post up pictures to this thread and let's see how far we can get this going.
I think its only fair that once the bag gets filled with names the old bag should make its way back to TheMan and the last person to sign should start a new one.
I greatly look forward to how this plays out and all the wonderful ideas people send out with the Randall.
A side note about the Randall...a little bit of ingredient goes VERY far with this thing. Throw in as much as you want, but take careful note that only a small bit of stuff will be needed to fuse flavors.

Standard rules for swapping apply.
90 days as a member and 100 post minimum requirements.

This will be capped at 32 members. After 5 shipments have been made I'll open it back up for five new members. If you want to get back in on the listing you have to wait at least 1 cycle to get back in, unless you make it known up front that you are going to operate as a HUB for areas where we need somebody to act as a sort of intermediary.

For a couple examples...duffman has sent me a philly cheese steak from his favorite place in philly. I have sent him a chocolate chip cookie dough stuffed Bavarian pretzel from one of my favorite local spots.

So options are very wide! Most foods should make the journey ok.

For a couple examples...duffman has sent me a philly cheese steak from his favorite place in philly. I have sent him a chocolate chip cookie dough stuffed Bavarian pretzel from one of my favorite local spots.

This next box I'm thinking of a REAL Philly staple. Scrapple.
Not the game, oh no...the food.

GREAT!!!!!

Now we have to top a cheesesteak FROM philly and a cookie dough filled pretzel?!?!

Long Island is known for its apples...anyone want a pie!?!

This next box I'm thinking of a REAL Philly staple. Scrapple.
Not the game, oh no...the food.

Dear god please include extra ice packs, cant imagine hot boxed scrapple...

I think we have 3 ice packs in there already lol...we should have enough cooling power for most shipments. If you doubt...just add more! Haha

I think we have 3 ice packs in there already lol...we should have enough cooling power for most shipments. If you doubt...just add more! Haha

I think with this next out going box I'll have two frozen elements on top of the ice packs, that should be MORE than enough for a 1 day haul, 2 days max. It could survive 3 days I think.

Actually, on this box, I'm going to start a recipe book as well for the Randall. This would give people some ideas on what they can do with the contraption should they decide to buy in on their own.
It will start off with 1 page filled with my own ideas of what I'm sending the recipient. They then add what they want their recipient to try. This should end up with some really sharp ideas down the line.

This is awesome. Is it super costly to ship? Think it will hold ice cream?

Depends on what you ship!

Also im pretty sure this is along the lines of "included with a box of beer" instead of an only thing in the box sorta deal.

Hope to see it sometime! Just thought of a great idea!!!

The box with the cooler bag packed and the randal with beer and accoutrements shouldn't be any more than 10 - 13 lbs I think, but it all depends on how many brews you want to include for the Randall. I don't think Ice Crème would keep for an extended period of time. This would keep things cold, but arriving still completely frozen would be a long shot, even in winter time.

For the ice cream you could always add some dry ice to it. Many of possibilities.

I was wondering on the effects of dry ice and convection cooling the beer down to freezing temps inside the same package. Not sure if it would effect the brews that way outside of the wine cooler bag, but the worry would keep me away from trying it.

Yea didn't think about that. I think the only way to ship ice cream though would be on dry ice, I used to order Jenni's Ice Cream from Ohio every once in a while until they a store here started carrying it. They shipped it to me on dry ice.

I'll use ice cream for my next box as an edible ice pack...or should i say drinkable by the time it gets there! lol Ill send it with a peanut butter milk stout for a nice combo.
Re-freeze please! :ban:

I need me a true philly cheesesteak to see if these California spots are close to par.

Shopping for the big box of yum is complete, I'm just waiting for the Randall to arrive so I can re-package and ship. I was contemplating taking pictures but would rather have it a complete surprise. With any luck, the recipient will have this box in their hands by Saturday. Hopefully they don't have any plans lol. This box sitting out in the sun for a prolonged period of time would cause the contents to go south REAL quick.

I can't wait to see pics of this

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh this will be glorious! I can't wait to see some of the combo's people come up with for the Randall. I'm starting out easy enough, but really the only limit to this thing is a person's own creativity. By making it a community event I'm sure we will come up with some epic combo's.

Oh yea. This is going to be really fun

1405450457159.jpg

Received confirmation of my order and will ship on Monday, delivery Tuesday. Anybody on vacation next week? My recipient is subbed to the thread :)

I'll be in lancaster fri to sun. Hoping to hit at least one brewery (Tired Hands, Troegs, spring house or Carton). Not close to you, right JT?

I'll be in lancaster fri to sun. Hoping to hit at least one brewery (Tired Hands, Troegs, spring house or Carton). Not close to you, right JT?

Springhouse is right there. Troegs isn't that far away. TH is a haul but might be on your way depending on how you go. I'll be every where but home this weekend. TH is only a 26 minute drive from my house, too...or so the Google says

I was surprised to learn spring house is only 20 minutes from the hotel we're staying at. Tired hands is on the way but at the times i'll be passing through, they'll be closed. Saturday i'll be in lititz for a good part of the day so maybe i can escape from the kids birthday party and get my brewery on.

I was surprised to learn spring house is only 20 minutes from the hotel we're staying at. Tired hands is on the way but at the times i'll be passing through, they'll be closed. Saturday i'll be in lititz for a good part of the day so maybe i can escape from the kids birthday party and get my brewery on.

Soooo many good thongs coming from their draft only selections. Last check was big gruesome on coffee and vanilla

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had nothing but frustration visiting bottle shops in pa. I'll try to get to both of those. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had nothing but frustration visiting bottle shops in pa. I'll try to get to both of those. Thanks.

Yea for the morning most part buying just a bottle or two at a time I'm the state is extremely frustrating. Luckily, from what I understand, whole foods now carries six packs and stuff as well. But only a few select locations

Just saw this...sounds like fun. I'd be happy to participate somewhere down the line.

Back