Bottle Priming With DME??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I have made my first partial mash (porter) and it seems to have came out great. I'll be bottling this week. The guy at the LHBS told me I could use light DME to prime my bottles instead of priming sugar.

My question is why is using DME better for porters/stouts and how much DME do I use for a five gallon batch? Is there an equation or something for figuring out how much to use based on volume of beer? Thanks

Some people say that using DME will give a better carbonation, more, smaller bubbles. I have primed one batch with DME and it does have a nice foamy head, but it had a substantial amount of wheat malt. With that exception, I use corn sugar since it is much cheaper (save the DME for starters). The standard is 1 1/4 cups DME per 5 gallons.

In either case you can use this:
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

DME being better is open for debate. If you are not in a hurry go ahead and try it but it will take longer to carbonate. I have done both and cannot tell the difference.

Thanks for the replys. It sounds like I'll be going with the priming sugar. I don't want to delay the process to get great beer any longer!!

The only time I used DME was with a barleywine where it needed to condition for a while anyway, but I don't think there's that much of a difference.

I used DME to prime one batch and it took forever to carb and was uneven at that. Of course it is the worst batch of beer I've made so maybe I'm biased but I would never use it again to prime.

Regards,
Al

Yea I tasted my first DME primed beer and its pretty flat. maybe 30 % carbonated. Its been in the bottle just under 3 weeks, I'm Hoping it will carbonate/mature a bit in the next few weeks.

Has anyone tried to re-prime/bottle a already bottled beer? I'm thinking if it doesn't carbonate that i will carefully pour all my beer back into my bottling bucket and add a new batch of DME or corn sugar then re-bottle. It would just break my heart to have to ditch a full batch of beer. I figure if everything is nice and sanitary it will be fine. Any comments?

You don't want to do that if you don't have to- you'll oxidize the beer, and have uneven carbonation since it's already carbonated somewhat. If you never do get it carbed up (wait about 3 months), then you could gently uncap, add priming tabs and recap. But wait until the beer has had a chance to work on the DME first.

For now, I'd place it someplace warm and check it again in 2-3 weeks. DME is slower to carb up than corn sugar, so give it a while.

I've recarbonated a batch that was already bottled, but instead of pouring them all back into a bottling bucket I dropped a tab or two of sugar tablets in each bottle and it worked nicely.

Question guys,

I understand it takes longer to carbonate but how much water should be used when priming with DME. I only ask because I will be priming my Stout next week and I just need to know how much water I should boil it in first. Or are you suppose to just add the DME directly to the beer and mix?

Thanks in advance.

Question guys,

I understand it takes longer to carbonate but how much water should be used when priming with DME. I only ask because I will be priming my Stout next week and I just need to know how much water I should boil it in first. Or are you suppose to just add the DME directly to the beer and mix?

Thanks in advance.

Same as with sugar, boil it in 2 cups of water.

You don't want to add any sugars directly to the bottle during priming. For one thing it is difficult to consistantly measure it and get it into the bottles. You could get a few crumbs of sugar stuck to your spoon or funnel, and suddenly you have an over primed bottle. Plus you are not sanitizing the sugar and unless you obtained it from a sealed bag you run the risk of infecting it.

And in the case of dme, it is really sensitive to moisture.It clumps up makes things difficult.

I would recommend lightly shaking/turning end over end your bottles a few times. I don't know if it does anything, but it seemed to help on one of my previous batches. Obviously you disturb the yeast at the bottom so this would be done a week or two (probably at the very high end of the time-frame) before you go about drinking them. My theory was that you re-suspend the yeast and get it working from the top down again. Just my 2c.

This is one of about six threads I've read on a variety of forums about bottling with DME. So far, I cannot elicit one good reason to do it, and several not to. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but DME is also alleged to actually form a krausen in the bottle neck, while dextrose doesn't.

If the size of the bubbles is an issue, I fail to see how one sugar or another is going to induce yeast to want to produce what, different CO2? This just doesn't make sense given any science I know. I think a creamier, foamier head is likely to be a function of other things in the beer, perhaps proteins or other molecules resident in the brew. Then there's the whole nitrogen thing, which is terra incognita to me, and likely to remain so......

This is one of about six threads I've read on a variety of forums about bottling with DME. So far, I cannot elicit one good reason to do it, and several not to. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but DME is also alleged to actually form a krausen in the bottle neck, while dextrose doesn't.

If the size of the bubbles is an issue, I fail to see how one sugar or another is going to induce yeast to want to produce what, different CO2? This just doesn't make sense given any science I know. I think a creamier, foamier head is likely to be a function of other things in the beer, perhaps proteins or other molecules resident in the brew. Then there's the whole nitrogen thing, which is terra incognita to me, and likely to remain so......

I heard something on Basic brewing yesterday (and I am going to do a write up for my bottling thread) talking about this. The current show is about alternative priming sugars.

The guest, who by the way, although he was from Michigan, and is supposedly a minister and an expert on priming is not me, though it was freaky to hear is bio, made a couple comments about dme and krausening.

Evidently the reason folks used both methods traditionally to prime their beer is simple, because DME is made with malt, and therefore was allowed under the Reinheitsgebot, the German Purity Law. Whereas sugar, whether it is table or corn, is an adjunct. So that's one of the main reasons why using DME, mashing fresh wort, or saving some of the original wort and krausening with it are still popular bottling options, though practiced less and less these days.

As to the fact that we often see krausens when priming with DME, I, and many first time brewers who start panic threads about it, have seen the elusive bottle krausen on beers primed with corn sugar as well. I think it is more a factor of the yeast being used, and proteins in the beer, than necessarily being JUST that it was primed with DME.

Now as to the second question, being about bubble size, I can't really speak on the specifics of DME priming and bubble sizes in the head. I only primed with DME once and that was over 5 years ago and I don't recall specifics.

But I think bubble size might be more of a factor of the type of beer (meaning heading proteins and such) and the level of carbonation moreso than what it was primed with. For example making one of my cream ales of a lager, they seem to have a head made of fairly small bubbles, and they are somewhat highly carbed...they are "Fizzy" and they also tend to leave nice lace on the glass.

The same with some of my Belgians, like my Blonde or a Tripel that is carbed higher that the traditionaly 2-2.5 volumes. They also tend to have tight bubbles in the head. It may be because of adjuncts like corn or sucrose in the boil, or the presence of Pilsner or Corn in the above recipes, or it maybe because these beers are intentionally more highly carbed than traditional ales, so their bubbles are tighter.

At least that is my theory...Like I said I've only, to my recollection primed with DME once, maybe twice and I can't even recall what beers it was done in. But they weren't my Belgians, Cream Ale or Lagers which had tight bubbles and nice lacing.

I just used some DME on my stout tonight for the first time instead of the usual dextrose. I'm nervous.

Mine took a few months to partially carb but I still ended up with uneven carbonation. About 10% never carbed and the rest are all undercarbed.

Yeast will have a very hard time carbonating a beer that finishes with a higher gravity when you use DME. DME for priming will also change the flavor of the beer where corn sugar will not.

Forrest

I don't think DME would cause that. You sure your yeast weren't dead and you used proper priming amounts?

Nothing changed in the technique. Boiled in some water for a few minutes, and the racked ontop of and bottled. Used the amount that beersmith called for to reach middle range for the style for carbonation.

I bottled the first batch I ever made with DME, and it worked better than any of the other batches I've made yet. It was a black lager, and if anything it was a little over carbonated. The wheat DME gave it a great, lasting head and really complemented the brew well.

I am so hoping that someone will reply to this post, since this thread is about a year old. I brewed up a batch of IPA (second batch, same recipe), and decided off-hand to prime with DME.. since I heard so many wonderful things about it (smaller, crisper bubbles... added head retention.... better mouthfeel, etc. etc.)

Well, I jumped in feet first, primed with 1.25 cups/2cups water.. mixed it in the bottling bucket, and filled my bottles. Three weeks later.... full carbonation had taken place. And.... as I had read, it had, IMHO, definitely crisper and finer bubbles than you would get with dextrose. And, the head was definitely better. What I encountered was something I haven't read anywhere..... I could actually taste the added malt. It was almost cloying, and detracted from the hop flavor and aroma, and really took away from the fine experience of the beer.

Did I add too much dme? I used Briess Light DME... since that's what everyone recommended. Has anyone else come into this problem? Will the taste subside after a much longer time in the bottle?? Please, can anyone shed a light on this??

CO2 and alcohol are not the only byproducts of yeast metabolism. From what I understand, when they break down malt dextrose they do not leave behind the cidery flavor like cane or corn sugar tend to.
When I brew extract I often notice a cidery flavor thanks to the corn sugar.

That is why we cant just brew an entire batch of beer from pure corn sugar! But you can make a delicious beer entirely from malt.

For a comparison, consider cooking rice. You can use water or chicken stock. Why not use the chicken stock? It will make slightly better tasting rice, that is just as soft as when made with water.

However, I am a bit conflicted myself. LOL
Palmer's How To Brew reads;
"You can prime your beer with any fermentable that you want. Any sugar: white cane sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, even maple syrup can be used for priming. The darker sugars can contribute a subtle aftertaste (sometimes desired) and are more appropriate for heavier, darker beers. Simple sugars, like corn or cane sugar, are used most often though many brewers use dry malt extract too. Ounce for ounce, cane sugar generates a bit more carbon dioxide than corn sugar, and both pure sugars carbonate more than malt extract, so you will need to take that into account. Honey is difficult to prime with because there is no standard for concentration. The gravity of honey is different jar to jar. To use honey, you will need to dilute it and measure its gravity with a hydrometer. For all sugars in general, you want to add 2-3 gravity points per gallon of beer to prime.

Be aware that malt extract will generate break material when boiled, and that the fermentation of malt extract for priming purposes will often generate a krausen/protein ring around the waterline in the bottle, just like it does in your fermenter. Simple sugars don't have this cosmetic problem and the small amount used for priming will not affect the flavor of the beer."​

I mightconsider retaining a bit of wort after the boil, in a snaitized jar to use for priming. For that matter maybe just mix sugar and malt extract.

I am so hoping that someone will reply to this post, since this thread is about a year old. I brewed up a batch of IPA (second batch, same recipe), and decided off-hand to prime with DME.. since I heard so many wonderful things about it (smaller, crisper bubbles... added head retention.... better mouthfeel, etc. etc.)

Well, I jumped in feet first, primed with 1.25 cups/2cups water.. mixed it in the bottling bucket, and filled my bottles. Three weeks later.... full carbonation had taken place. And.... as I had read, it had, IMHO, definitely crisper and finer bubbles than you would get with dextrose. And, the head was definitely better. What I encountered was something I haven't read anywhere..... I could actually taste the added malt. It was almost cloying, and detracted from the hop flavor and aroma, and really took away from the fine experience of the beer.

Did I add too much dme? I used Briess Light DME... since that's what everyone recommended. Has anyone else come into this problem? Will the taste subside after a much longer time in the bottle?? Please, can anyone shed a light on this??

Did you boil the DME?
Was this an all grain beer, or an extract?

I havent done it yet, but I will be. I am about to brew a recipe for Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. The people who did the clone suggest to use 1 1/4 cup of Wheat DME to bottle.

Did you boil the DME?
Was this an all grain beer, or an extract?

I havent done it yet, but I will be. I am about to brew a recipe for Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. The people who did the clone suggest to use 1 1/4 cup of Wheat DME to bottle.

Yep.. boiled it just like I would with dextrose. And it was an extract kit... which probably added to the fact that I was able to pick it out easily. While the beer was drinkable, IMO it completely ruined the IPA experience.

I recently had a bottle of Lakefront Bridge Burner, and was able to pick out that distinct malt extract flavor and nose from it. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to it. I doubt I'll ever try it again... maybe I'd try it in a darker beer.... I dunno.

I do all my bottle priming with DME (Muntons). I do not know what the issue with time is. My latest batch that I bottled, a Dunkles, carbonated fully in 1 week (bottled Sunday, tested Sunday). Now this being a bottle conditioned lager, all bottles are now conditioning ice cold in the fridge.

Ales, on the other hand, I have had fully carbonated in 4-5 days during warmer months.

On another note, one of the guys in my homebrew club took the time to carbonate a batch of beer 10 different ways using 9 different priming sugars and force carbing one bottle. We had the chance to taste all side by side.
For me, the DME had the best results, and so I made a switch from the honey that i had been using. I don't remember all the sugars, but a brief list would include: DME, Corn, table, turbiner, honey, maple syrup, belgian candy...can't remember the others off hand (this was several years ago). And yes, I found DME to be better than forced carbonation.

To those who get uneven carbonation, remember to rack your beer into the bottling bucket AFTER the priming sugar solution has been poured into the bucket. Come to think of it, maybe pouring the hot DME solution into the bucket oxygenates the sugar so that it ferments quicker...

On yet another note, the advantage of DME over other sugars is the lack of a flavor footprint in delicate brews, but that would not be a factor at all in more assertively flavored beers, especially wheats and Belgians. That said, wheats and Belgians also go well with big bubbles and more carbonation.

I just did my first batch with DME (a Cascadian Dark Ale) and it came out great. Was well carbed after 10 days with tight bubbles and thick foam (there was about 8% wheat in the grist). It was almost like Nitro in some ways.

I'll be doing a porter soon and will most definitely use DME to prime it.

Back