Boil size questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvergti

Reaction score
I frequent other brewers recipes and see that most of them have boil sizes larger than I am able to do. As a top off extract/partial mash brewer I am aware of the formula of appropriate top of levels to achieve gravity. This does apply to all recipes, correct? Sorry for the ******* question. When I read about that formula, it was in accordance to converting AG to extract and what to do with the top off.

MVC

You are better off to boil as much as you can for extract or all grain brewing.If you cannot do a full boil then boil what you can and top off to needed level.

I'd like to know what scientific evidence there is that proves that a full boil tastes better than a "75% full" boil that requires a gallon or two of top off water.
I understand why you want eater for mash thickness.
But what difference does it make if you boil 4 gallons, end up with 3, and add 2 gallons at the end, as opposed to boiling 6 and ending up with 5?

I do partial mash/ partial boils. I have no scientific evidence but I did take 1st place at a local homebrew competition against many all grain/ full boil beers. There are a lot of tips and tricks on these forums to maximize the quality of partial boils.

Latest posts

Back