How Long a 5# C02 Lasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daholl01

Reaction score
Hey I tried a search for this but I wasn't thinking of any "uncommon" words to search so I was getting nothing.

Anyway, as I want to get into kegging I was just curious about how many 5 gallon cornys can you get through with a 5# C02 tank?

You should be able to push 10-15 kegs at least with a 5# tank. Maybe more. I've only pushed 4 kegs myself with mine and still have plenty of co2.

Depends. If you simply pushing the brew through, probably a bunch. But, if your using the gas for conditioning as well or trying to get the oxygen out, it would obviously be less. Just watch the pressure guage. When it starts dipping into the red zone, get ready to refill.

i'm a big fan of getting the largest tank that is practical for your application, and then buying a second one at least. this way, the co2 is generally cheaper to fill, and you should always have co2 on hand just in case anything happens and a tank runs out, which is usually when you need it the most. craigslist is a great avenue at finding cheap co2 tanks, and just pay for the test cost and fill, and you should be good to go.

i personally have seven co2 tanks now, a 50#, 4x20#, 10#, and a 2.5#. this way i know i will never be out of co2, as long as i keep tanks filled as backups, and keep my system free of leaks.

gnef said:
i personally have seven co2 tanks now, a 50#, 4x20#, 10#, and a 2.5#. this way i know i will never be out of co2, as long as i keep tanks filled as backups, and keep my system free of leaks.

Dude…142 pounds of CO2 in your house?

Man if you ever spring a major leak, your house is going to float away…oh wait...that’s hydrogen.
You’re going to have a high squeaky voice for like 3 months…no…that’s helium.
You’ll be laughing your @ss off until forever…uh…nitrous…
Just don’t light a match man…hmmm…oxygen.

Well…something bad will happen…like…your beer will go flat.

well, i also have an 80 CF beergas tank, and a 20CF oxygen tank. haha.

i actually want to trade one of the 20# tanks for another 80 CF beergas if the welding supply will allow that, and trade the 10# for a 40CF nitrogen if possible too.

also, not all the tanks are full right now. i believe two of the 20# tanks are empty, as is the 10#. i need to ge them filled soon. i need to make sure i don't run out of co2! haha.

Back