Why does my Lager Yeast develop stuff on the top and other basic lagering questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
The stuff I refer to I believe is called karusan but I am not 100% sure on the name. Anyway the yeast I am using is WLP800 Pilsner Lager Yeast.

The beer is a pilsner with an OG of about 1.055 for 5g. I didn't bother with a starter since the OG was low. I put the yeast into the wart at temperature 55 degrees and I didn't see any active bubbling after 2 days. I increased the temperature to 60 for 2 days and I still didn't see any active bubbling. I opened up the bucket and saw the top covered with the "Stuff" as I saw a lot when doing ales. I have now dropped the temp to 50 degrees because there has been obvious fermentation.

This is my 4th lager or so but close to my 30th batch so if you feel the need to get technical, feel free to do so.

My questions are:
1) Is my lager going to be bad to due very slow start and rather high temperature for 4 days.
2) I know that lager yeast is bottom fermentation, why does stuff form on the top?
3) I think I am going to stick with the Saflager yellow or purple packets for my lager needs, is this a bad idea and if so why? I have had very good experiences with the yellow packets.
4) People told me that I would get a really nasty sulphur smell in my chest freezer when doing lagers and I have yet to experience anything of the sort. Is this typical or a notice that I am doing something wrong.

1 - The higher temps will result in more ester production, I don't know lager yeast well enough to say if it is enough to cause you problems though...I would personally be more worried about you under pitching and the problems that can cause.

2 - In my experience lager yeast has a krausen, I don't know why they call it bottom fermenting...maybe someone can enlighten us on that one.

3 - I only use dry yeast when priming a big beer, otherwise no experience to help you

4 - For me I get more sulfur with lager strains, but some strains are worse than others

Hah, I was kind of wondering about this today as well. My first couple of lagers never did this, but this batch (my fourth) is doing it. Hope it sinks with cold crashing... otherwise rackign it is going to be a pain.

1. As previous poster said, you may get some additional esters (fruit or clove) and due to the under pitching you may get some dicetal (butter flavor).
2. Krausen, yeast eat sugar and fart CO2. CO2 bubbles drag all sorts of stuff to the surface. Lager yeast don't remain in suspension very well, they have a strong desire to floculate and lay on the bottom while the gorge themselves.
3. Use whatever yeast you like, more strains=more variety, but nothing wrong with keeping things simpler and really getting to know a yeast you like. I like S23 (yellow) quite a bit, but it can turn mean and estery if you are not careful with your temps.
4. Some yeasties produce sulfer compounds in plenty, some don't.

Back