mixing high alpha hops for bittering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
using high alpha hops for bittering is obviously best for beers like a DIPA. i was wondeing about mixing high alpha hops though. seems most discussion tells that those 60min additions results in all bitterness and no flavor/aroma. some sources say that certain varieties of high alpha bittering hops can cross over slightly into the flavor/aroma department. my question- do you think you would even or have you noticed a difference when combining high alpha hops for bittering? would you see a difference in say 1oz warrior + 1oz columbus vs. 2oz warrior.

I can't say about mixing them, but I can say that I taste a difference between high alpha hops. Pacific Gem, for example, gives a noticeable piney flavor, I think, very pleasant in the right beer.

Widmer uses a mix of hops called Alchemy for bittering many of their beers. They aim for consistent ratios of humulone and cohumulone. That ratio varies for each hop and is why some bittering is considered harsh. You'll notice a difference in your example, but it won't carry over much into flavor/aroma.

I can't say about mixing them, but I can say that I taste a difference between high alpha hops. Pacific Gem, for example, gives a noticeable piney flavor, I think, very pleasant in the right beer.

Yes. I know that high alpha hops in a long boil should not influence flavour much,but i too can taste the difference.

Back